Tonight's Business Meeting Minutes

(06:58:07 PM)The topic for #ubuntu-us-oh is: Welcome to Ubuntu Ohio! |
See the calendar for event details! | LoCOhio rocks! | Join us at | Do it! | Learn more about us at
<> | no swearing allowed
(07:01:05 PM) ***skellat waits eagerly
(07:01:54 PM) Cheri703: Well, who all is here for the meeting?
(07:02:18 PM) ***paultag can be here
(07:03:01 PM) Cheri703: Quite the turnout!
(07:03:01 PM) ***drkokandy is here
(07:03:06 PM) Cheri703: ah, ok
(07:03:18 PM) skellat: And there was more than 48 hours notice this
(07:03:33 PM) Cheri703: Well, I'll start off with: we've recently been
discussing trying to shift some focus from worrying about in-person
events to having online events
(07:04:01 PM) Cheri703: Some discussion was had about video vs voice
chat, and while I think mumble is a good idea, it *would* be hard to get
photos of our "event" to send in
(07:04:21 PM) Cheri703: if it's a google hangout, we could at least do
screenshots and such. With mumble, a screenshot of the signed in users
isn't terribly impressive.
(07:05:09 PM) Cheri703: I think we'd still want to try to do ReLoCo
stuff, but as far as trying to get people from larger geographical areas
together, it's just not happening, so we'll go with online stuff.
(07:05:14 PM) Cheri703: Anyone have thoughts on that?
(07:06:11 PM) Cheri703: ...
(07:06:16 PM) Cheri703: aaaaanyone?
(07:06:18 PM) Cheri703: crickets
(07:06:26 PM) skellat: At this point I'm continuing to investigate
video solutions and have not found anything satisfactory *yet*
(07:06:28 PM) drkokandy: I agree with trying to get ReLoCos together
for some in-person events
(07:06:52 PM) Cheri703: if anyone wants to volunteer to develop an
alternative to google hangouts, they're welcome to do that too
(07:07:03 PM) drkokandy: Because without doing some things in person
we're wasting the geographic foundation of the LoCo
(07:07:20 PM) Cheri703: drkokandy: we need to schedule one once the
temperatures are consistently above 20 degrees's too stinking
cold to go anywhere right now
(07:07:28 PM) drkokandy: that is true
(07:07:48 PM) Cheri703: true drkokandy, but as spread out as we are,
the geographic foundation is...tenuous
(07:08:09 PM) skellat: I've still got Lake Effect Snow Warning going
until 10 AM tomorrow. Wind chills have been hazardous to human flesh for
anything but minimal time lengths of exposure.
(07:08:39 PM) ***skellat had to go shovel out family cars before
tonight's meeting
(07:09:00 PM) Cheri703: Oh, actually: I'll be in Cleveland the evening
of 02/15 because I have to spend the night at the airport, if any ubuntu
clevelanders wanted to hang out or grab dinner, I'd be game
(07:09:38 PM) Cheri703: I would like to do things in person, and had
hopes of doing that at one time, but we seem to be getting sparser and
sparser as far as people who actively participate.
(07:09:53 PM) Cheri703: I'd like to see some life in the mailing
list/forums at some point.
(07:10:04 PM) skellat: We had fairly good IRC activity today
(07:10:26 PM) drkokandy: we've had a more active IRC than usual these
past couple of weeks or so
(07:10:52 PM) Cheri703: yeah, but we have LOTS AND LOTS of people who
are technically members of u-ohio and we have 21 signed in to chat right
(07:11:00 PM) Cheri703: so...irc isn't exactly reaching the masses
(07:11:52 PM) skellat: No, it isn't
(07:12:21 PM) skellat: Then again, how many of the 400+ members
actually have any connection or contact with the LoCo at large?
(07:12:41 PM) Cheri703: not many
(07:13:00 PM) Cheri703: Do we have a u-ohio g+ group? does anyone
(07:13:18 PM) drkokandy: not one that I'm a part of
(07:13:20 PM) skellat: I don't use G+
(07:13:35 PM) Cheri703: I think a lot of ubuntu folks are on g+, so
probably could poke around there
(07:13:38 PM) skellat: We have an Identica group that paultag is the
owner of
(07:13:44 PM) paultag: challah
(07:13:45 PM) paultag: Oh man
(07:13:47 PM) paultag: I can transfer
(07:13:51 PM) Cheri703: yeah...identica is....fairly dead afaik
(07:13:51 PM) Cheri703: ?
(07:13:58 PM) paultag: skellat: seeing as how you're an identica
master, I'll chown to you
(07:14:10 PM) skellat: Identica is fairly alive Cheri703 and is still
being developed
(07:14:22 PM) Cheri703: I've heard of a lot of people having issues
with it
(07:14:24 PM) Cheri703: so I dunno
(07:14:28 PM) skellat: paultag: We'll talk about that separately as we
may need Evan involved
(07:14:31 PM) paultag: ack
(07:14:36 PM) Cheri703: I think g+ is rapidly becoming a hub of ubuntu
(07:15:08 PM) paultag: erm, hurm
(07:15:17 PM) paultag: skellat: ← I'm
not an admin D:
(07:15:38 PM) skellat: Identica is getting set to archive about 80% of
the accounts as they're inactive and the data is going to go to The active accounts remain active.
(07:15:55 PM) skellat: paultag: Crap! I'll contact Evan separately so I
can take control of that myself.
(07:16:06 PM) paultag: ack
(07:17:20 PM) skellat: Cheri703: I thought we had a Page on G+ back
during one or the other of my abortive attempts to use the service. I
wonder if we still do.
(07:18:28 PM) Cheri703: looks like bioselement made a page
(07:18:34 PM) Cheri703: I'll reach out to him
(07:18:51 PM) drkokandy: Oh, found one:
(07:19:19 PM) drkokandy: here's the community:
(07:20:01 PM) Cheri703: sent a message
(07:20:07 PM) Cheri703: hopefully we can get that going a bit
(07:20:16 PM) skellat: I've pinged Evan via Identica to see if I can
take control of the group there
(07:22:18 PM) Cheri703: So: Goals for this next month: Try to get some
online presence going, whether g+, identica, mailing list, forum, also
try to get some sort of local events moving in some capacity somewhere.
Mansfield will have one this coming month, if any other areas can get
SOMETHING to happen, that'd be great. Even if it's a "I will be at x
location at y time with my computer and able to give demos" and have
like a sign on your table or something. I dunno
(07:22:18 PM) Cheri703: . SOMETHING that is contact with the outside
(07:22:38 PM) Cheri703: I will probably post something to the mailing
list tonight just to try to get some conversation going
(07:23:07 PM) Cheri703: well...will probably post within the next week
or so. big work thing going on so my brain is a bit...wobbly
(07:23:34 PM) Cheri703: anyone have any other thoughts on that?
(07:23:57 PM) skellat: Nope.
(07:24:11 PM) skellat: I'll be running the educational session next
Monday at 10 PM Eastern
(07:24:23 PM) Cheri703: Everyone can participate in getting things
going on the mailing list btw
(07:24:27 PM) skellat: I'll be posting the slide deck to SlideShare
(07:24:27 PM) Cheri703: awesome!
(07:26:04 PM) skellat: What metric do we want to use to measure the
success of the event?
(07:26:29 PM) Cheri703: I think for the level of participation we
usually get to events, HAVING the event is a success.
(07:26:48 PM) skellat: Okay
(07:27:10 PM) skellat: PING: Unit193 jrgifford canthus13 jacob
(07:27:33 PM) Cheri703: I'm serious! We haven't done something like
that before, so I consider it a positive thing to be doing it at all

(07:27:54 PM) skellat: Alrighty
(07:28:26 PM) skellat: Is there anything paultag can share with us
about the state of Debian efforts relative to Wheezy?
(07:29:04 PM) paultag: current RC bug squash rates place release at
about 3 months out
(07:29:11 PM) paultag: if you'd like to see it sooner, fix bugs
(07:29:20 PM) paultag: BSP I'm helping run in Boston @ MIT this
(07:29:28 PM) paultag: questions?
(07:29:41 PM) skellat: So we're looking at April instead of February
(07:29:55 PM) paultag: yeah, sadly
(07:30:00 PM) paultag: there were some RC bugs found late in freeze
(07:30:05 PM) paultag: and it's set us back a bit, I think.
(07:30:23 PM) paultag: help is welcome, and as always I'd be glad to
help anyone get involved
(07:30:57 PM) skellat: And for the record I'll remind folks across the
LoCo that efforts to aid Debian in squashing bugs do trickle down to
help Ubuntu
(07:31:46 PM) Cheri703: Alright, any other topics for tonight?
(07:32:32 PM) skellat: Any recent contacts with the LoCo Council?
(07:32:53 PM) Cheri703: talked with cz<tab> unofficially a few weeks
(07:33:16 PM) Cheri703: result of that convo was the push toward ANY
activity, then working out in-person activity later
(07:34:01 PM) skellat: Laura Czajkowski, you mean?
(07:34:10 PM) ***paultag chuckles
(07:34:10 PM) Cheri703: yeah
(07:34:28 PM) skellat: Alrighty
(07:35:38 PM) skellat: Cheri703: Could you ask Laura Czajkowski in her
Launchpad-related capacity about whether or not it is possible to change
the LoCo team's settings so that e-mail cannot be turned off?
(07:36:09 PM) Cheri703: I think that with spam and opt-in/out
regulations we can't force email on anyone
(07:36:21 PM) skellat: Darn
(07:36:23 PM) skellat: Okay
(07:36:49 PM) skellat: I've got nothing else
(07:36:55 PM) Cheri703: I know that if I'd opted out of email and
suddenly started getting it again, I'd be SUPER mad
(07:36:57 PM) Cheri703: so...yeah
(07:37:24 PM) Cheri703: ok. I guess that wraps things up for the
meeting. I'll (as always) be idling in here, so if anyone has thoughts ,
feel free to toss them out!
(07:38:27 PM) skellat: Then we stand adjourned, I guess? Our next
meeting is our educational session on Monday at 10 PM.
(07:38:48 PM) Cheri703: Yep. Have a good night folks!
(07:40:16 PM) drkokandy: sounds great! Good night all!