Thread: Symlink accross HDD's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Symlink accross HDD's?

So i am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7, I know that in ubuntu you browse the Windows 7 partition and it comes up as a removable device. i was wondering if there was a way you can create a symlink from say the Downloads folder in the windows 7 partition to the /home/user/Downloads folder in ubuntu? and would the data be doubled or would it all be on side of that symlink?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Symlink accross HDD's?

Quote Originally Posted by Elitenoname View Post
    So i am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7, I know that in ubuntu you browse the Windows 7 partition and it comes up as a removable device. i was wondering if there was a way you can create a symlink from say the Downloads folder in the windows 7 partition to the /home/user/Downloads folder in ubuntu? and would the data be doubled or would it all be on side of that symlink?
    Yes, you can use symlinks between different partitions, even if they are on different drives. (But you cannot use hard links.)

See
    Code:
    info ln
    When you create a link in a file browser (Nautilus, Thunar, PCmanFM ...) it will be a symbolic link.

The data will not be doubled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alright how would the data be stored on that? if i save a file onto the drive in windows 7 would it physicaly be in the ubuntu folder as well or would just be a link point to that file and would be opened with the path of the windows partition?

Beans
    Hidden!

The symbolic link is a small file containing only the information how to link the request to where the data is residing. So the file data resides only at the target of the link.

For example:

You have Windows on /dev/sda mounted on /media/win7
    and you have a file

/media/win7/Users/elitenoname/Documents/file.txt

Then you link to it with
    Code:
    ln -s /media/win7/Users/elitenoname/Documents/file.txt /home/elitenoname/Documents/winfile.txt
    or you link to the whole directory with
    Code:
    ln -s /media/win7/Users/elitenoname/Documents /home/elitenoname

Beans
    Hidden!

But if you want to share a partition between Windows and Ubuntu it is better to have a separate data partition. It can be an NTFS partition.

It is safer with a separate data partition. It is possible to write from linux into the windows system partition but not quite safe. Reading is OK.