Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8

It seems to have a lot of trouble finding your video. 24 to 879 seems like a very long time for EDID to be found. But I do not really know video issues.

[ 24.580] (II) XKB: generating xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-8C3648A5FD728529D869F46730BE1BC287DB231C.xkm
    [ 879.395] (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 8428
    [ 879.395] (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
    [ 879.395] (II) intel(0): Modeline "1366x768"x0.0 76.50 1366 1382 1398 1580 768 771 785 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz eP)
    You should try to never use the power switch to shut down. Always remember the elephants.

Never force shutdown your laptop. Use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B instead. (For newer laptops they don't bother adding the SysRq print to the key, but it's the same as the PrtScr key)

Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB
    R-E-I-S-U-B to force shutdown
    A good way to remember it is.
    Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring ...or
    Reboot System Even If Ultimately Broken ...LOL.
    http://kember.net/articles/reisub-th...linux-restart/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

is there any solution for my case? thank you....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not know video issues. You might want to start a new thread with your video issue in the title and post what you know as above.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

As to shutdown: on my HP ProBook, pressing the power switch initiates a normal shutdown instead of a power off. At least, if I am at a text console.

Again on a text console, 'sudo halt' does everything except power off, and sudo shutdown -h now' does everything including power off.

Oldfred, what is so bad about power off if all filesystems are already unmounted?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If file systems are all unmounted you should be ok.

Best to remember the elephants.

Never force shutdown your laptop. Use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B instead. (For newer laptops they don't bother adding the SysRq print to the key, but it's the same as the PrtScr key)

Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB
    R-E-I-S-U-B to force shutdown
    A good way to remember it is.
    Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring ...or
    Reboot System Even If Ultimately Broken ...LOL.
    http://kember.net/articles/reisub-the-gentle-linux-restart/

R gives back control of the keyboard, S issues a sync, E sends all processes but init the term signal, I sends all processes but init the kill signal, U mounts all filesystem ro to prevent a fsck at reboot, B reboots the system

Beans

Windows 8 News, Apps, Tips, etc. | Windows 8 Post

windos8 is the latest version of Microsoft. It is latest computer o parting system. I give thanks to poster this post and I strongly believe that you can get more and more exciting and important information from the bellow website. I believe you will be surprise after see the bellow website.
    www.windows8post.com

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8

After some upgrades and execute X -configure and copy the xorg file generated to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, now the graphic mode It´s working!
    Now, I have only one problem, when computer start, it doesn´t show me the grub, it boots directly to ubuntu. As you know in the previous posts I commented that I don´t delete windows partitions....I would like to have the grub with the options to boot to win or ubuntu....
    I executed boot-repair, and it showed me a info windows said: Efi detected. After that, I have the advance or recommended options .... I don´t know what option I need to select... there are a lot of checkboxes ...
    Here is the info recollected with boot repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5594548/
    Thank You!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot-Repair has not yet added the Windows boot files to 25_custom. I would first run the recommended repair and see it that adds correct Windows entries. Otherwise you can manually add entries as posted as workarounds in this bug report.

grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1024383
    type of entry from Boot-Repair that should work.
    'Windows UEFI loader'
    Type of entry that does not work:
    'Windows ...) (on /dev/sdXY)'

Beans

I have some limited experience with the Toshiba Satellite S855-5378, using it for secure booting Windows and Ubuntu. First thing is to ensure you have the latested firmware for your machine (6.60) to fix the key/database issue to allow Ubuntu to secure boot. I too could not get both Windows and Ubuntu booting off the same EFI files, but putting a second EFI partition on a USB to boot Ubuntu (running off the hard disk), and keeping the original EFI files on the hard disk for Windows worked for me. I did not have any video issues.
    Your present situation looks like your are booting Ubuntu, but not "securely", so just copying the present files to a GPT partitioned USB with a 250M EFI bootable partition will not work when secure boot is enabled. Maybe boot-repair would set things up correctly, but it's not hard to do manually, just confusing since the signed and unsigned .efi files all have the same names when in the EFI directories. On the Ubuntu filessystem, you should have the signed versions of the following: /usr/lib/shm/shim.efi.signed, /usr/lic/grub/x86_64-efi-signed/grubx64.efi.signed, and
    /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi-signed/gcdx64.efi.signed. Copy them all onto the USB stick .../EFI/ubuntu directory without the ".signed" extension. Then copy and rename the shim.efi to the USB .../EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi. Also copy the grubx64.efi to the EFI/Boot/grubx64.efi. There should be the working grub.cfg in the USB .../EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg This grub.cfg runs Ubuntu off the hard disk. You can edit a menu item so when you see grub, you know which grub.cfg is being used. With USB boot before the Hard disk priority, you should be able to insert the stick and boot Ubuntu. Without the stick you still boot Ubuntu, but you can go back to Windows by copying the /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (overwriting the existing bootx64.efi which is just a copy of grubx64.efi (unsigned).) Windows should now boot again off the hard disk. Any efi files in the hard disk EFI/ubuntu directory are probably the unsigned versions (you can confirm that they have different sizes from the signed versions). They should not be used, but I'd make a copy of the working (signed) files and put them there for the day when everything works as it should. The Windows grub items I found did not boot successfully, even with the correct boot-repair syntax, so I added myself to the existing bug. Good luck in straightening things out. Remember that you might have to go back to Windows and flash the firmware, before you can secure boot Ubuntu.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234