Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8

Beans

Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8 installation help

Thank you, I post in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...69&postcount=4 the output of that Commands...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Yeah, I read it, but the problem is that I can´t install it in LIVE CD, That steps works when you install it in your hard drive...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have seen some do it with BIOS installs, but it really is a Catch-22.

It may then be best to just do an install without Internet and see if your system will boot. Many UEFI systems still seem to need fixes, but you can manually do them. with some effort. A few have just worked.
    Boot-Repair will do some of the fixes, but some do require downloading packages. You again can down load package manually and copy into Ubuntu to then install package.

You can still run BootInfo report but it will complain that you cannot upload to pastebin. But it has copy on system that you can attach to a post. I can be large, so probably best just to attach with paperclip icon in edit panel above new message.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tk2013 View Post
    Thanks again oldFred for your replies. I will try out your solution tomorrow, with the backing up and renaming of the EFI boot file.

I will also include the generated boot-repair url with the results. I will do a fresh install of ubuntu 12.04.1 (after installing win8 of course) and probably have to do the something else option.
    Correct me if im wrong, but I do believe that I should choose the boot dir in the same partition as the window UEFI according to this documentation : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Do you have success in the instalation? I have the same laptop and I will go to install ubuntu 12.10... Can you boot ubuntu?
    Thank You.

Beans

Oldfred, what about install linux without dual boot (delete windows 8 system)? Can I set in the bios for boot in legacy mode, an the install it in the common way. I am right? I that case can I delete the Efi partition?
    Thank You

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you have UEFI in legacy/CSM mode you should be able to erase drive and install in BIOS mode.

I hesitate to suggest that as some systems have to have Windows as UEFI and Windows seem to be integrated.

I did see one user who did what you want. For him it worked.
    Another user always buys a lwer cost laptop that offers a faster SSD option. Then he just removes hard drive an d puts it on shelf, and puts his own SSD in with Ubuntu. If he eve wants to sell system or send in for repair he just puts Windows back in. A way to have a full backup.

I use Ubuntu with BIOS and gpt partitions, so you do not have to change from gpt to MBR partitioning. In BIOS mode with gpt partitioning you need a tiny bios_grub partition of 1MBR that has no format.

However, in the GPT setup, there is no space following the 512-byte MBR for embedding the "second stage" core.img.

In a GPT partition map, the 31 kiB area after Master Boot Record where GRUB is usually embedded to, does not exist. When GRUB can't be embedded, its only option is to use blocklists, which are unreliable and discouraged. Thus, you must make a separate "BIOS boot partition" to hold core.img. BIOS Boot Partition only needs to be about 32 KiB in size, although in most cases make it 1 MiB because of partition alignment issues. It can be anywhere on drive and has no format.

You can set bios_grub flag in gparted (right click flags) & no format
    In GPT fdisk (gdisk), give bios_grub a type code of EF02.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8 installation help

Finally I installed ubuntu 12.10 remix...but I have some problems:
    1- When I reboot, it doesn´t show grub and the system boot directly to ubuntu.... although i don´t delete the windows partition... (ubuntu boots ok and show me de desktop correctly)

2- As you know, I ubuntu live don´t recognize the ethernet or wireless card, then I use a script for download de .deb files in other computer and then installed for recognized the ethernet card with success... for this, I install linux-backports-modules-cw-.. When the instalation finished I reboot the pc and now I have internet, but ubuntu boots in console mode (no graphics mode ;( )...
    I execute startx command, but It show me an error. (I attached here de Xorg log)
    Thank You!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I guess this is the problem.

display NO RECLAMADO
    descripción: VGA compatible controller
    producto: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
    But i thought Intel just worked. There is only one driver and it is the open source one included.

But some have posted these work arounds, but I only have nVidia.

Some other settings, test with e on grub menu in place of splash quiet:
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

• Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
    • newer: i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
    • nVidia: nomodeset
    • Generic: xforcevesa or nouveau.modeset=0
    • Radeon: radeon.modeset=0

Limited resolutions with Intel Sandybridge graphics
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2057807

Some have said this works, but you have to use you monitor's size.
    Force Intel Video mode as boot parameter in grub menu
    video=1280x1024-24@60
    and if that doesn't work you can try
    video=VGA-1:1280x1024-24@60

And some have posted this:
    For Intel graphics running slow:
    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL | head -n3

Beans

Unhappy Re: Dual Boot Ubuntu + Windows 8 installation help

Thank you oldfred, It´s really wierd,,, I attached here the lshw and Xorg log when I boot with the live cd and graphic mode was be ok.... Is there any manner to apply this configuration to the installed system?

I note that in my system when I write sudo halt for shutdown,, the system don´t shut down, it stop in
    * Will now halt
    [488.821849] System halted.

For finally shut down the system, I need to do it manually with keep press the power button of the notebook
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by c.pfarher; February 28th, 2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: forget upload files

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast