Thread: Gateway netbook RAM?

Beans

Question Gateway netbook RAM?

So I found a place where I can buy RAM (bestbuy) However I heard windows 7 starter only utilizes up to 2GB of RAM. Not a problem for as I had completely wiped windows from my LT4010u (And I always remove windows) and have replaced it with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. How much RAM does ubuntu utilize?

Beans

Re: Gateway netbook RAM?

Ubuntu will utilize as much RAM as you have installed.

However, if you use the 32 bit version of Ubuntu, it may not automatically recognize more than 4GB of RAM (it's possible but not always automatic). If you use the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, it should recognize all your RAM.

Best Buy is probably the most expensive place to buy laptop RAM unless it is on sale, but it is very convenient for some people who don't mind paying a little more to get their RAM quickly. Try Amazon, NewEgg, even eBay to save money. The important thing is to get the exact type of RAM you need, as there are numerous types of RAM for laptop computers. Crucial.com's website is good at finding the exact type of RAM you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Ubuntu will utilize as much RAM as you have installed.

However, if you use the 32 bit version of Ubuntu, it may not automatically recognize more than 4GB of RAM (it's possible but not always automatic). If you use the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, it should recognize all your RAM.

Best Buy is probably the most expensive place to buy laptop RAM unless it is on sale, but it is very convenient for some people who don't mind paying a little more to get their RAM quickly. Try Amazon, NewEgg, even eBay to save money. The important thing is to get the exact type of RAM you need, as there are numerous types of RAM for laptop computers. Crucial.com's website is good at finding the exact type of RAM you need.
    True Dat. I've bought from New Egg, Amazon, Sears/KMart's market place (hey, they had the cheapest Crucial RAM) and from a vendor on Ebay (XtremeRAM) when I was looking for inexpensive RAM. If I'm not pinching pennies, I've had good luck with Crucial RAM though I'm sure any of the major vendors are fine. Some netbooks have 32 bit ATOM processors which limit RAM to around 3 GB. I believe. The motherboard may also have limitations independent of the CPU. Best to consult the machine's manual or vendor's web site.

Beans

The vendor site says 2GB, so don't be surprised if 2x2GB doesn't work (though the NM10 chipset can handle it, I don't know if the BIOS will). Is there a reason you need more than 2GB on a netbook?