Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to build a laptop, any advice?

Beans

I want to build a laptop, any advice?

I've been looking on Ebay for a computer within $100 that had every thing i wanted. Needless to say i was disappointed.
    So i thought that maybe i could build one.
    What i want in my laptop: 4GB ram, Back lit keyboard, DVD drive, Mac like touchpad, and reasonably thin.
    My ideal would be something similar to this: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-l521x/pd

How much would it cost to make something like this?

Thanks
    tahdas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: I want to build a laptop, any advice?

It's to my knowledge that this is going to be quite the task, as building a custom laptop isn't as simple as building a desktop. There is a pretty small market out there for laptop components and hardware, so if you do end up going the build route, be careful.

Beans

I hope you mean $1000, because $100 isn't gonna happen Either way, building laptops is not something commonly done, and I honestly wouldn't know where to start. Maybe a more specialized retailer like System76 would be a better option.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Unfortunately I'm only 14, so I don't have the money. If I built a laptop I could get my parents to help pay fr it because then it would educationinal.
    Thanks
    Tahdas

Beans

Why not just buy the dell?
    Building a laptop is much harder than building a desktop. Your best bet would be to take a suitcase build a computer in the bottom half of it. Duct Tape a screen to the top part of a suit case and find big enough battery to power it and still hold a charge for awhile.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    Why not just buy the dell?
    Building a laptop is much harder than building a desktop. Your best bet would be to take a suitcase build a computer in the bottom half of it. Duct Tape a screen to the top part of a suit case and find big enough battery to power it and still hold a charge for awhile.
    Suitecasepc epic!

Beans
    Hidden!

If you have access to a TV then you can always try a Raspberry Pi for a basic computer experience...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best advice DONT.

You can build a desktop easy enough. You can get cases, motherboards, processors etc and put together the system you want.

Laptops however are unique and many of the bits are designed specifically for that laptop.

You would need to convince a laptop manufacturer to sell you most of the parts and even if you could convince them its going to cost more than the full laptop would.

Go for a desktop or if you just want to learn you could look at devices like the Raspberry Pi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    You can build a desktop easy enough.
    You'll still need some basic knowledge on how to fit it all together, though...and the components won't come cheap if you're looking to build a powerful desktop computer.

edit: if you want to use Windows, the license alone will cost you more than $100. That said, you can still get a laptop for around that price on ebay...but don't expect it to be a high-end PC. You should be able to get a new netbook for $200-$300.
    Last edited by na5h; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Beans

If you really want to have all the things you desire from this laptop then perhaps you could try one of the following:

1. Buy a cheaper model second hand and then try to retro fit/heath robinson the extra features; or
    2. Buy a damage repairable laptop from ebay and do the repairs.

Either way, you still need to have your head in the game to do it right. As people have said, a lot of laptop components a re specific to the laptop so making sure anything you retro-fit will work would be of the highest importance.

Good luck - if you manage it, we need photos posting on here.

Cheers

EDIT: I wonder if you could gut a laptop and fit a rasperry pi inside, linked to the laptop screen? That could be pretty sweet. Getting the display from HDMI could be tricky - probabbly not a task for the faint hearted.
    Last edited by Sylos; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast