Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop question (not ubuntu related)

Beans

Question Laptop question (not ubuntu related)

How good is my laptop netbook?

I don't know if this belongs here but..
    This what my system specs are:
    Ubuntu
    Release 12.04 (precise) 32-bit
    Kernel Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae
    GNOME 3.4.2

Hardware
    Memory: 989.9 MiB
    Processor: Intel® Atom™ CPU N2600 @ 1.60GHz × 4
    Graphics: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600
    Available disk space: 260 GiB

Laptop specs
    RAM: 1GB DDR3
    10.1" LED LCD (1,024x600)
    Gateway LT4010u

Priced at $228. Was this worth less or more than the price?

Also how do I get more RAM?? Where can I go to get the RAM I need? Can I even add more RAM to this machine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Laptop question (not ubuntu related)

You definitely got exactly what its worth so thats good! You can make it waaay better for only $20ish USD here's a link of the best tech store:

http://www.newegg.com

You can't upgrade your processor, but as long as you aren't doing anything too intense (photo, video, and hardcore gaming) you should be fine. Ubuntu is really light on resources, however I would still recommend anything at or above 2 gigs RAM. RAM allows you to run multiple applications at a time as well as run better effects within Unity. Your graphics isn't too shabby compared to the rest of the specs, I ran Unity just fine on a much older version of Intel Graphics.

One quick question, is that a netbook? If so I am not entirely sure if you can upgrade the RAM due to the whole casing being one closed piece. You might look on the bottom if there is a latch that you can unscrew to put RAM in, there will be a litte picture of some kind.

Can you also post the make and model of this system so we can know better what we are looking at?
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    You definitely got exactly what its worth so thats good! You can make it waaay better for only $20ish USD here's a link of the best tech store:

http://www.newegg.com

You can't upgrade your processor, but as long as you aren't doing anything too intense (photo, video, and hardcore gaming) you should be fine. Ubuntu is really light on resources, however I would still recommend anything at or above 2 gigs RAM. RAM allows you to run multiple applications at a time as well as run better effects within Unity. Your graphics isn't too shabby compared to the rest of the specs, I ran Unity just fine on a much older version of Intel Graphics.

One quick question, is that a netbook? If so I am not entirely sure if you can upgrade the RAM due to the whole casing being one closed piece. You might look on the bottom if there is a latch that you can unscrew to put RAM in, there will be a litte picture of some kind.

Can you also post the make and model of this system so we can know better what we are looking at?
    It is a Gateway LT4010u. I now know how to get to the RAM. I just don't want to spend some good money on a 4GB+ RAM if it cant support it. However, something that did surprised me is if you had 4-even 10GB of RAM the windows 7 starter (preinstalled) shows it only as 2GB. (The windows can not utilize it.) I am curious, how much can Ubuntu 12.04 Precise utilize?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly1992 View Post
    It is a Gateway LT4010u. I now know how to get to the RAM. I just don't want to spend some good money on a 4GB+ RAM if it cant support it. However, something that did surprised me is if you had 4-even 10GB of RAM the windows 7 starter (preinstalled) shows it only as 2GB. (The windows can not utilize it.) I am curious, how much can Ubuntu 12.04 Precise utilize?
    Probably becase you're running a 32-bit installation instead of a 64-bit installation..
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    Probably becase you're running a 32-bit installation instead of a 64-bit installation..
    Nah, it can run both. On Ubuntu it says I'm running 32-bit, while Windows said I was running 64-bit. Don't know why its different on Windows than Ubuntu.

Plus I read somewhere it can run both, but as far as I know, it was running the 64-bit installation.
    Last edited by userfriendly1992; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly1992 View Post
    system only supports 2gb max
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&PageSize=20
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post

If that's the case I would get as fast of 2 gigs as possible!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yeah, drop some more RAM in that bad boy and you'll be even better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Why wouldn't this one work?
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333mh.../dp/B002YUF8ZG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Because the motherboard only supports a maximum of 2GB. This is a hardware limitation that can't be worked around.

Read the specs on the Gateway website...

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/conte...l/NU.WZMAA.006
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast