Thread: running the vga on the board with video card

Beans

running the vga on the board with video card

i ask becuase i recently acquired a second monitor but both only have vga ins and was wondering if its possible to run the vga on my video card and the one built into the board simultaniously

Beans

Re: running the vga on the board with video card

Are you talking about using your card and onboard video at the same time? If that is the case, you can't unless your motherbord has the tech to bridge the cards, as well as the card and onboard have to support of the tech. Not only that, they have to be the same vendor. Such as Nvidia card and Nvidia Onboard or ATI card and ATI onboard. They cannot be swapped since both companies use different methods of achieving this. Also, I don't believe the current drivers Proprietary or Open Sorce support the bridging in the first place. I could be wrong there.

So what motherboard do you have, what video card, and what version of Xubuntu you got mate??
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; January 22nd, 2013 at 05:36 AM.

Beans

well imusing 12.10(upgraded today and loving it) but the argument is invalid because board is ati and card is nvidea. in case you didnt notice im not an it kind of guy. i can code in 8 languages but if anything happens to my machine im pretty much lost at sea lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello,

I have an idea. Does your GPU have two different monitor slots? Like one for DVI and VGA? If so, you could always get another cord or an adapter. If you already have a VGA cord but your GPU has only one VGA cord but a free DVI port, then purchasing a DVI to VGA adapter would work.

Beans

i didn't even know those existed tbh.(so far from an it guy) ill look into that it sounds like a pretty good idea