Thread: Enjoying Fedora 18

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Enjoying Fedora 18

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Did the F18 netinstall today...
    I have a fast internet connection... Really like the F18 Net Install CD

Lots of install configuration choices; and again with the new hub and spoke approach to Anaconda - reclaim partitions and choose standard or lvm for drive set up.
    Last edited by BBQdave; February 7th, 2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Well a little bit late to the party, finally removed Fedora 17 and did a clean install of Fedora 18 with KDE this time. It is really nice and installation is a lot faster than Ubuntu. Only thing is that the installer overwrote grub in Ubuntu (it is a dual boot) even though I have chosen not to install bootloader (I re-did the installation just to be sure), but it was easily fixed. The default software manager apper kind of sucks so installed yumex and everything is cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

FWIW, I've spent 24 hours or so with a Fedora 19 alpha install, using MATE and Gnome-Shell. Other than one new Gnome extension that brought it to its knees, I've seen no crashes. (They must be in there, hiding, though.) Other than the software updates, it looks much like F18. But, MATE 1.6 is smoother and faster than the 1.5 release available on F18. Gnome also seems smoother and faster. That's not bad for a beta test candidate. Anaconda is much less obtuse, too.

After installing the Infinality package, font rendering is excellent.

F18 is a very good release, and F19 looks to be at least as good. Wonder if these two releases will be the basis for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, expected later this year? An RHEL 7 defaulting to Gnome 3.8, with Cinnamon, MATE, etc., available, would be intriguing desktop possibility.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    After installing the Infinality package, font rendering is excellent.
    Hold off updating Infinality - see Warning

Still cruising along with F18 and Gnome 3.6.3

Beans

buzzingrobot: we don't talk about what Fedora release a given RHEL is 'based on' (in fact the relationship is somewhat more complex than that in any case) but you will certainly see a lot of the stuff you saw first in Fedoras 15 through 19 in RHEL 7 as well, yes.

RHEL has a much more limited package set than Fedora, though, and this is not expected to change. I don't believe RHEL 7 will include any official alternative desktops, and it'd be extremely unlikely to officially include Cinnamon or MATE or anything like that. Alternative desktops are often made available through the popular 'extra' repositories for RHEL, though.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm giving F18 a test drive right now as I type this. Looks pretty decent but I'm not giving up my Ubuntu 12.04 anytime soon. I'll just run F18 from a USB disk as a second Op System OR if I can ever get a hard drive enclosure for my old Mac hard drive I'll install it there and let it be kind of a second machine.
    One nice thing, F18 found my WiFi quickly which is nice. Looks like I've got 4 Linux based Op Systems that I like now, Ubuntu, Peppermint One, Tiny CorePlus and now Fedora.
    Linux Rocks.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I'm giving F18 a test drive right now as I type this. Looks pretty decent but I'm not giving up my Ubuntu 12.04 anytime soon.
    Was cruising along happily with F18 and Gnome 3... until Spring updates, new Kernel Linux, and a crippled Toshiba Satellite notebook. The Kernel Linux 3.9.2-200.fc18.x86_64 and up is causing different problems on varying hardware. Well over a month and still no fix.

I am currently using and enjoying Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS for my daily driver. I like the flow of Unity with the side bar, Dash, and global menus - and it is nice to have a desktop populated with folders and files

Back to LTS - as my old hardware had Ubuntu 10.04 and Debian 6. Over a year ago I updated to new hardware, and tested different Linux distros. For me, LTS makes for a solid daily driver and I too will be hanging with Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

One "problem" with Fedora 18 that I ran into(as have others) is that it'll not let you log in to Terminal as "sudo" to do stuff.
    Ubuntu has spoiled me, it's such an easy op system to use. Don't see myself going to any other op sys anytime soon.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    One "problem" with Fedora 18 that I ran into(as have others) is that it'll not let you log in to Terminal as "sudo" to do stuff.
    Ubuntu has spoiled me, it's such an easy op system to use. Don't see myself going to any other op sys anytime soon.
    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mj...-fc6.html#sudo

I never needed to set it up like that though, during installation (or first boot?) I added myself as an administrator and sudo just works. Though I noticed that with Fedora there are things that even sudoer cannot do like cd-ing the root folder, for that you have to actually become root (su) But root cannot use graphic text editors like kwrite or gedit, so have to use something cryptic like nano or vi.

Also I disabled Selinux or set it to permissive mode, it is like an overly active imune system that doesn't allow you to do anything. Google talk cannot start and freezes the browser whenever I logged into gmail because Selinux prevents it and there are numerous other things that it prevents. I know it is probably more desirable to explictly permit something but I haven't got the time to read the rather complicated documentations right now. I am not James Bond and don't need that level of security.

Oh yeah, synaptic (muon) is another thing I miss from Debian based systems. I use Fedora in kde, packagekit is atrocious and I removed it and use Yumex instead. It is a lot better but still no match for synaptic or muon. Searching is painful and updating takes long.

Speaking of ease of use, in Ubuntu you don't need to think twice to install the Nvidia driver, well in Fedora you need to disable nouveau and separately install the driver and akmod. The first time I installed the driver I forgot to disable nouveau and couldn't boot (In Ubuntu when the Nividia driver loads it disable nouveau automatically) Then there was a mismatch in akmod and driver version in an update and it hanged while booting. Took a few hours to fix it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 14th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Was cruising along happily with F18 and Gnome 3... until Spring updates, new Kernel Linux, and a crippled Toshiba Satellite notebook. The Kernel Linux 3.9.2-200.fc18.x86_64 and up is causing different problems on varying hardware. Well over a month and still no fix.

Couldn't you just log into a previous kernel? I think Fedora automatically keeps the two previous kernels and you have to remove them manually from the terminal (don't show up in gui package managers like Yumex)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast