Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Enjoying Fedora 18

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Enjoying Fedora 18

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Speaking of ease of use, in Ubuntu you don't need to think twice to install the Nvidia driver, well in Fedora you need to disable nouveau and separately install the driver and akmod. The first time I installed the driver I forgot to disable nouveau and couldn't boot (In Ubuntu when the Nividia driver loads it disable nouveau automatically) Then there was a mismatch in akmod and driver version in an update and it hanged while booting. Took a few hours to fix it.
    I've never needed to manually blacklist Nouveau in Fedora. I enable the RPMFusion repos, do a "sudo yum install akmod-nvidia", and that's it. The instructions at RPMFusion's howto section are thorough and accurate.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I've never needed to manually blacklist Nouveau in Fedora. I enable the RPMFusion repos, do a "sudo yum install akmod-nvidia", and that's it. The instructions at RPMFusion's howto section are thorough and accurate.
    Well I installed from rpm-fusion-rawhide which has a more up to date driver (Nvidia 319.23) , with just rpm-fusion I think you only get 303. The performance is a lot better, maybe it is only in rawhide that you need to disable nouveau.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Couldn't you just log into a previous kernel? I think Fedora automatically keeps the two previous kernels and you have to remove them manually from the terminal (don't show up in gui package managers like Yumex)
    Yes, you can log into a previous Kernel Linux for awhile - but over time with current updates and the older kernel, things start to get buggy. So you end up in the same situation of buggy function - running off of an older kernel with an updated Fedora system

Oddly, Spring does not seem to be good with Fedora and stability. Had the same issues last Spring with F16 crippling my hardware and the soon to be released F17 was buggy. Here I am again with F18 crippling my hardware and when I tested F19 beta - same buggy crippling behavior.

I need stability in a Linux distro, and thought I could get that in Fedora - waiting a couple months after release to install... sadly, whatever they are testing in the beta, seems to be tested in the current release as well. So in my experience, Fedora really is a test bed for RHEL.

No worries, I have stability in a smooth Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS system

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    I need stability in a Linux distro, and thought I could get that in Fedora - waiting a couple months after release to install... sadly, whatever they are testing in the beta, seems to be tested in the current release as well. So in my experience, Fedora really is a test bed for RHEL.

No worries, I have stability in a smooth Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS system
    But then since Ubuntu is going sort of rolling, I would rather they test like Fedora than Debian unstable. As far as beta testing goes, Fedora is still quite stable and usable for the most part. On the other hand I almost get dependency conflicts on a daily basis with Debian unstable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    One "problem" with Fedora 18 that I ran into(as have others) is that it'll not let you log in to Terminal as "sudo" to do stuff.
    Ubuntu has spoiled me, it's such an easy op system to use. Don't see myself going to any other op sys anytime soon.
    As monkeybrain said, if you create a user as an 'administrator' in Fedora (all the user creation tools should have this option, except gnome-initial-setup, which *always* creates the user as an administrator) then sudo will be enabled for that user. If you don't, it won't.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345