Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

Beans

Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

Hello Everyone!

What do you think about new Smartphones made by Samsung, for me it is funny that Android which is a Linux OS Doesn't have a support for Multimedia exchange with Linux Os like Ubuntu.

I know many of you will tell me that there is a way.
    Yes but there is a great amount of work to do to make it working properly on Linux. I hope that this subject will become a longer discussion. I'am collecting 25 posts to make my user CP working

Beans

Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

I know it really sucks. There is a way but it's stupid and not as convenient as pure usb transfer. You have to use a program called go-mtpfs or use the android sdk and use the command adb push /file/directory /sdcard/folder/where/you/want/file
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

You can use application KIESAIR but it uses the speed of Internet connection or wireless transfer so on my internet connection(10mb/s) it goes: 1,2MB/s when I have 59GiB of Movies on my SGS III the transfer will take about 18 hours.
    Have Fun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

Stick your microsd card into your adapter and copy on to it whatever you want that is the way I do it and yes it sucks but couldn't find anything better. So would be open for something clever if existing

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

Ok SD Card is easy, but what about those 16/32/64GiB Versions of SGS III, that don't need a SD Card to have capicty to record movies, when I want to transfer movie from them it takes great amount of problems to get it working.

There is 40 000 000 000 Samsung Galaxy Users.
    Every Galaxy Phone is on Android(Linux).
    Now how many of those people will take their phone put usb cord to the hole and then usb in their NON-Mac and NON-Windows PC and cry about not having the posibility to transfer their movies to Youtube.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dominictorreto87 View Post
    Ok SD Card is easy, but what about those 16/32/64GiB Versions of SGS III, that don't need a SD Card to have capicty to record movies, when I want to transfer movie from them it takes great amount of problems to get it working.

There is 40 000 000 000 Samsung Galaxy Users.
    Every Galaxy Phone is on Android(Linux).
    Now how many of those people will take their phone put usb cord to the hole and then usb in their NON-Mac and NON-Windows PC and cry about not having the posibility to transfer their movies to Youtube.
    I am entirly with you as I own a SGS III myself, in the end of the day it was my fault to not look into this before I purchased the phone but I hope that something will come up soon what makes file transfer to my Ubuntu machine much easier.

-Greg

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII No Multimedia Support for Linux

I will put this conversation to Facebook, and maybe some developer from Samsung Corp will here our thoughts!

The other thing is that this Smartphone Has Everything Except Multimedia Connection. It is like a PC, very fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Blame Samsung. HTC Android phones work just fine with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Blame Samsung. HTC Android phones work just fine with Linux.
    MTP is a standard Google chose. Not Samsung nor HTC.

Good news is, MTP devices such as my Nexus4 and Nexus7 auto-mount in 13.04 now thanks to an updated gvfs.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....15.2-0ubuntu1

Edit: and then actually this worked great for me before this update was pushed:http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-t...-go-mtpfs.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've installed Wifi File Transfer Pro on my S3 as a kludge as I described here.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast