Thread: Advice for SSDs?

Beans

Advice for SSDs?

Hey guys! My birthday is coming up next month, so I plan on treating myself to a 500GB Solid State Drive to dedicate to an Ubuntu installation. I am an avid gamer, so I originally had the consequently faster load times in mind. Afterwards, I quickly realized that not only games will be faster, but the entire Ubuntu installation and everything on it will get a significant boost as well (on top of the fact that Ubuntu is way faster than Windows due to its lightweight architecture)!

Here are my current specifications:
    Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit)
    Hard Drive: 1TB HDD (Currently split between Windows 7 and Ubuntu)
    CPU: Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.8GHz (Hyperthreading enabled)
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
    Memory: 16GB DDR3 RAM

So it's obvious that the only visible bottleneck deterring from optimal performance is my HDD. What I came here to ask is...is there anything that a Linux novice such as myself should know about SSDs on Ubuntu (or Linux in general)? SSD prices are going down faster than my ex-girlfriend going clubbing, yet they still have a price to them, so I want to make the best out of my investment.

Thanks in advance for any advice the Ubuntu community can provide!
    -Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Advice for SSDs?

I like the specs. of your system, it should be fast. 500 gb SSD seems like a lot
    but i am not a gamer so i don't know how much space they take ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I like the specs. of your system, it should be fast. 500 gb SSD seems like a lot
    but i am not a gamer so i don't know how much space they take ?
    Well, in the past, I have gotten suggestions to just go with a 64 GB SSD to install the OS files on (so the OS features will be sped up). This isn't such a bad idea, but as a gamer, I want my all my upgrades to have at least some sort of impact on my gaming experience. Games these days take up a lot of space, so I think that 500ish GB will work out perfectly. I totally geek out when I watch the HDD vs SSD videos for games. For one example, when you log into World of Warcraft in a highly populated zone (such as a faction's major city), it loads in just a few seconds on an SSD, and even faster when loading interior areas such as dungeons. What can I say? Gamers are impatient people and want to get in on the action as fast as they can.

In the meantime, I found this interesting article on tweaks you can make after installing an SSD on a Linux machine.
    http://goinglinux.com/articles/Optim...SSD_Drive.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Interesting, I am fairly new to SSD myself, my newest laptop has one, 260 gb. So far i just
    treat it like any other HDD, no problems, maybe someone else is aware of issues ?