Thread: Powerpoint insert video error

Beans

Powerpoint insert video error

Hi everyone,

I have a problem inserting videos in powerpoint 2010 running on wine 1.5.21. The error says "Powerpoint cannot insert a video from the selected file. Verify that the necessary codec for this media format is installed, and then try again.". This applies to all video format. Please help! Thanks

<Screenshot>

Beans

Re: Powerpoint insert video error

The message is pretty clear. PowerPoint doesn't know what to do with the file format you selected. What type of file is it?

MS PowerPoint uses windows media player for embedded videos. In a normal windows installation, most common codecs are preinstalled. In wine however, you have to install all of that yourself. Maybe even the mediaplayer (you could be lucky and ms office has it built in, I don't know)

You could try and install Windows Media Player and the needed codecs in Wine, or perhaps try if libreoffice in ubuntu does what you want. never hurts to try, right?
    Last edited by Yougo; January 21st, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
    It's a GIANT MUSHROOM... MAYBE IT'S FRIENDLY!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yougo View Post
    The message is pretty clear.

MS PowerPoint uses windows media player for embedded videos. In a normal windows installation, most common codes are preinstalled. In wine however, you have to install all of that yourself. Maybe even the mediaplayer (you could be lucky and ms office has it built in, I don't know)

You could try and install Windows Media Player in Wine, or perhaps try if libreoffice in ubuntu does what you want. never hurts to try, right?
    Thanks for the reply Yougo

Yes i've tried to install wmp10 through winetricks, but still couldn't get it to work, maybe it's missing some codecs. Powerpoint crashes in the process and same goes with wmp while trying to play music or vids.

Beans

Whoops I edited while you replied.

What type of file is it? can you play it ok in an ubuntu video player like totem or vlc?

Can you open your presentation on a windows pc and try it there?
    Can you open the presentation in libreoffice impress and try it there?

Where are you going to run the presentation? On another windows pc? Or on your own pc through wine?

My personal experience with PowerPoint and videos is that there are so many things that can go wrong, especially if you use a third computer to run it, like a school pc, I just don't bother embedding it, and start it separately in a media player

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yougo View Post

What type of file is it? can you play it ok in an ubuntu video player like totem or vlc?

Can you open your presentation on a windows pc and try it there?
    Can you open the presentation in libreoffice impress and try it there?

Where are you going to run the presentation? On another windows pc? Or on your own pc through wine?
    Yes i can run the files (mp3, wmv, mpg, mp4 etc.) natively on vlc and impress. But I need to make it work on powerpoint because there are some complex things impress just can't do. I'll be using the same computer to run the presentation through wine.

Thanks!
    Last edited by breeky5; January 21st, 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Beans

below is a link to a thread in WineHQ forum:
    http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=16478

it talks about an older version of powrpoint, but the problem is very similar.
    i suggest installing Windows Media Player through Winetricks, and see if that helps Powerpoint along.

let me know if that worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you're relying on WMP to play the videos -- that could be the problem. The WineHQ site shows Bronze for WMP 10 -- which is the worst rating you can get if something even runs!

If you can find it, there is a WMP Classic version out there that has been known to work (in Windows, that is) when newer versions of WMP do not.

Problem is, those older versions are rated Garbage in WineHQ.

My personal experience is that Linux is a poor platform to use if you depend on MS Office apps, especially the newer versions.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks for the replies!

I tried to install wmp using playonlinux and it worked well however it uses wine version 1.3 and therfore cannot be integrated to ms office that is installed on a different wineprefix w/c is the system default (wine 1.5.21). Any workaround ideas?