Thread: default root password

Beans

Red face default root password

Hey Ubuntu fans,
    I just installed the Server 12.04.1 LTS on my Virtualbox and after the server being installed, I am prompted with the login screen on the terminal. I've been looking around the forum for a solution, but only come across individuals who are soo trigger happy with the "sudo" command. I've found one person saying there IS NO root password. I'm not sure understand how that's possible. So people have suggested re-installation, and that I should have created a user&password sometime earlier in the install.

So I've done so research, and was reading some of the installation documentation for Ubuntu, but still can't figure out this issue.
    Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: default root password

Die-hard ubuntuites don't like it, but with the following command, one makes a root passwd
    PHP Code:
    sudo passwd root 
    since you asked.
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sidzen View Post
    Die-hard ubuntuites don't like it, but with the following command, one makes a root passwd
    PHP Code:
    sudo passwd root 
    I understand this command. I'm familiar with it. But I'm pretty sure I can't enter that command in, at a login screen. Almost positive you must be already logged into as another user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guesss View Post
    Hey Ubuntu fans,
    I just installed the Server 12.04.1 LTS on my Virtualbox and after the server being installed, I am prompted with the login screen on the terminal. I've been looking around the forum for a solution, but only come across individuals who are soo trigger happy with the "sudo" command. I've found one person saying there IS NO root password. I'm not sure understand how that's possible. So people have suggested re-installation, and that I should have created a user&password sometime earlier in the install.

So I've done so research, and was reading some of the installation documentation for Ubuntu, but still can't figure out this issue.
    Thanks for reading.
    That is correct. By default Ubuntu has no root password, as it is not needed, sudo handles root privileges just fine.

Look at this for more help and understanding on the issue of Ubuntu and root passwords:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Also, I really have no idea how anyone could install any Ubuntu system without an initial user, though I guess it's possible.
    Last edited by deadflowr; January 21st, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You are prompted to set up your username and password during the installation. You can't continue with the installation without doing so.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. You will have created a user and password during the install as said by others, these are what you use to log in initially.

I'm confused by your use of the term "trigger happy with the sudo command", surely running as root is equivalent to being super trigger happy with the command as you are effectively running every command as sudo?

There are times when running as root is fine for a careful admin, but by default in Ubuntu sudo is used as per the link DeadFlower posted.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/