Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help choosing a stable, fast(ish) Distro...

Beans

Re: Need help choosing a stable, fast(ish) Distro...

+1, I remember running Gnome 2 distros on old Pentium 3's and 4's back in its heyday.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xubuntu is very stable and very good!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    +1, I remember running Gnome 2 distros on old Pentium 3's and 4's back in its heyday.
    My very first Linux experience was with Linux Mandrake from the then company Mandrakesoft, featuring GNOME 1.1.

It was beautiful and had a certain charm you'll never get again!

I might just try it again in VirtualBox just for the Nostalgia.

Beans

One doesn't have to stick with the big names have a good browse on distro watch.
    For stable no fuss desktop Mepris which is based on stable debian is really swift on my 1.8g machine. The same team do a lighter version called antix
    For lightweight slitaz is amazingly good, very much lower on system resources and far faster than the usuall xfce or lxde buntu's that usually get recommended. Seems well supported too, or has been for the last few years. If you want consistancy over a large number of machines of various ages which can be relied on for years not to upgrade beyond the abilities of the least powerful machine in the pack, as the op does, I'd definately recommend slitaz.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; January 31st, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm currently (and most likely permanently) on openSUSE 12.2 Gnome. I was getting poor wireless performance in Ubuntu (Intel Wireless, I was using 3.7.5 kernel), the bootloader and file system kept messing up, and switching to SUSE solved all those problems, and it's a heck of a lot quicker too. With the Amazon annoyances, and the general lack of stability and quality of Ubuntu, I think I'll likely stick with openSUSE. I like Unity, I like Mark Shuttleworth's vision, but I can't deal with everything breaking. As a bonus, I much prefer Zypper to app-get and dpkg...

Beans

Lubuntu is a great choice for speed.

But a personal favorite of mine is PeppermintOS. A great light distro. Give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I highly recommend Xubuntu 12.04 in every way.

I have never been a Ubuntu fanboy and have hopped for several years. Xubuntu brings all the benefits that go along with Ubuntu but runs with the stability and speed you love with the XFCE environment. IMHO, Xubuntu far surpasses LXDE distro's in stability and has greater ability to be customized. Xubuntu also has LTS support that goes with 12.04.

If you (like me) grew weary of Unity shortcomings, the bugginess of Cinnamon and did not want the bloat of KDE, Xubuntu may be for you too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xubuntu
    Crunchbang
    Racy Puppy

Beans

I use Lubuntu 12.10. Works nicely, seems lightweight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123