Thread: hp compaq 8510w help

Beans

hp compaq 8510w help

so i've been using ubuntu basically just for downloading and internet over the last year or so. My HP compaq 8510w fried its hard drive. I was thinking of getting a solid state hard drive and upgrading the ram. I don't know much about computers but I am pretty handy. So my goal was to upgrade to 128gb+ solid state hard drive and 8gb of ram i currently have 2gb. i want to the laptop to be pretty quiet. being a noob and a terrible pc repair guy. i need some help to see if this is cost effective and compatible. is it worth it to only go to 4gb of ram and get a regular like 1tb or 2tb SATA? the internet is pretty helpful, but confusing and at times contradicting. any help would be much obliged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: hp compaq 8510w help

This specific laptop model maxes out at 4GB of RAM, so there would be no point in buying say 8 GB. You would only be able to use the first 4 GB of it.
    As far as hard drives go, it's a matter of personal preference. For the same price, you can get a solid state drive that is 20x faster, or a spin drive that can store 20x more. Many people go for one of each, using the spin drive for data and media storage while using the solid state to house their operating system and software.

Beans

Re: hp compaq 8510w help

yea i read the same thing but when i consulted crucial and another website it recommended 8 but i will go with the four then. is a solid state drive whisper quiet?

thanks for the response!!!