Thread: aspell Personal Dictionary - misspelled word

Beans

aspell Personal Dictionary - misspelled word

I just got Bluefish working with enchant, which is using aspell. I accidentally added a misspelled word (Activites) to the dictionary and want to remove it. I've checked my home directory according to http://www.mail-archive.com/aspell-u.../msg01944.html, but there are no files called .aspell.en.pws or .aspell.en_US.pws (given by "aspell config personal-path" in a terminal). I installed AbiWord, which also uses enchant, and it is not showing "Activites" as misspelled. Nor do I see any options in AbiWord for editing the dictionaries.

Where is this word getting stored, and how do I delete it!?
    Last edited by nuk28; January 19th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: aspell Personal Dictionary - misspelled word

The correct file name should indeed be ".aspell.<language code>.pws", located in your home directory (/home/username/). Note that this is a hidden file, so in a file manager (nautilus) you'll have to hit ctrl-h to show it, or use ls -a on the command line. You can simply open the file in your favorite text editor (like gedit), delete the offending line and save the file.

Beans

Yes, but that file does not exist. I can see plenty of hidden files, but .aspell* does not exist. Neither Nautilus nor ls show it. Where else might this information be stored?

This is really annoying me because I use that word a lot on my website, and I seem to forget that last 'i' rather frequently.
    Last edited by nuk28; January 19th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Are you sure enchant uses aspell? According to the website (http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/) it has eight different back ends, so it might be using a different one.

Beans

I actually don't know what backend enchant uses. The enchant.ordering file shows that myspell has priority over aspell. I was getting frustrated looking for things about myspell, however, and it seemed like Thunderbird might use myspell, and Thunderbird was seeing "Activites" as misspelled. I ended up just searching for "Activites" with this command:
    Code:
    find . -maxdepth 5 -print0 -type f | xargs -0 grep "Activites"
    It found ~/.config/enchant/en_US.dic, which contains a short list of the words in my personal dictionary. I deleted "Activites", and now both Bluefish and Abiword show it as misspelled.