Thread: Starting Python before xserver

Beans

Starting Python before xserver

I have been an avid Ubuntu user since 2010, and I have not been able to figure this one out: After my BIOS splash, there is just a black screen. Then, after 12 seconds, my login screen pops up and all is well. However, I was wondering if there was any way to start the Python-thingy before Xorg or even when the machine is first turned on. Help is most appreciated.

Beans

Wink Re: How can I easily upgrade from 10.10 to a newer version without losing application

I have been an avid Ubuntu user since 2010, and I have not been able to figure this one out: After my BIOS splash, there is just a black screen. Then, after 12 seconds, my login screen pops up and all is well. However, I was wondering if there was any way to start the Python-thingy before Xorg or even when the machine is first turned on. Help is most appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Starting Python before xserver

@archarank, I have moved your two identical posts to their own thread and given the thread what I hope is a suitable title. You posted to threads that had nothing to do with your question.

Please do not post the same thing in different places as this dilutes community effort and please do not hijack other people's threads.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Starting Python before xserver

You can start anything you wish at system startup, and there are several ways to do it. The answer depends upon what you wish to start, why you wish to start it, and what services it depends on to work properly.

Generally, best practice for a system-level daemon that needs to run all the time (like ntp) is to use Upstart. System level services that don't need to run all the time, or root scripts, should usually be started by cron or dbus or Upstart.

User-level scripts and applications have even more options for start-upon-login, or start-after-boot.