Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kdenlive: computer shut-down during render

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: kdenlive: computer shut-down during render

yeah, i am trying thats for sure. lol
    have you tried to start kdenlive from the command line, have the terminal open and visible right as you click render to see if there are any messages in the terminal window?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Or how about this, since it only happens when you render, get some other video editor and try rendering from there too and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

OR, you could just take a video file and try to re-encode it using either handbrake or avidemux. maybe it's a ffmpeg issue or maybe even melt. melt is the framework behind kdenlive. BUT my melt works fine from sunab's svn ppa. so not sure. are you using medibuntu repos for the extra ffmpeg libs?

Beans

Tried your suggestion of starting kdenlive from the command line, but there were no messages in the terminal window.
    I am using medibuntu repos, and melt works fine for me as well.

As for trying a different video editor, I couldn't install OpenShot for some reason, and I haven't been able to find another editor that seems like it would work well enough.

Beans
    Distro

i am out of suggestions. did you post over at the kdenlive forums?

Beans

Video encoding is very CPU intensive; probably more so than anything else you're doing, so I recommend revisiting the probability of overheating. You can try using ffmpeg by itself the test this theory:

Code:
    ffmpeg -f lavfi -i mandelbrot=s=1280x720 -t 00:05:00 -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -crf 18 -pix_fmt yuv420p output.mkv
    This will create a Mandelbrot set and encode it with x264 using a slow encoding preset resulting in a 5 minute long output.

You will have to compile ffmpeg, use Jon Severinsson's ffmpeg PPA, or use a simple static build if you want to try this. I doubt the fake "ffmpeg" from the repo has the Mandelbrot video source.

Beans

Hey guys, im loving the linux experience as a new user and cannot tolerate the thought of returning to windows, but i have the same problem of CPU crash during video render, and i can assure you is an overheating issue in my case anyway. I've exhausted many paths to be here now with this confirmation, including reinstalling mint, installing lowlatency, and have arrived at ubuntu studio 12.04. I have a quad core, 32 bit, with 2gig ram.

From observing system monitors, i can say that CPU is completely redlined at the start of rendering, until the pc switches off suddenly a few minutes later. i dont know how to find CPU thermometer and so i just opened the box and touched the heat dissipator - VERY hot!

This problem occurs with all the video editors i found and tested, about 6 diffrent ones. i'd also like to make another observation.

in windows, i could render fine as long as i rendered one video at a time. i also found the rendering process to be helluva faster than any linux app - like ten times at least! in windows i used sony vegas, but since i never used its features, i ended up with wondershare for simplicity... this is cool, but since i dont really want to go back to windows at all, maybe there are methods of tweaking i could apply.

i dont know too much about terminal, but i did mess about with ulimit in mint 15 and found that an extension of available memory from 64 to 1024 did buy alot more rendering time and ease pressure on the CPUs, altho it did eventually overheat again. i also found that the rendering process used no more than 700meg of memory in its task.

Thank you for any help you might have for me, i really appreciate it, as im not sure what to do from here... thanks

Beans

okay so i've found a quickfix for now... a small app called cpulimiter... now searching for a less manual method of limiting CPU access for the desired rendering program...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saeon View Post
    in windows, i could render fine as long as i rendered one video at a time. i also found the rendering process to be helluva faster than any linux app - like ten times at least!
    There are many variables to explain the differences. I've found the opposite: that Windows is generally slower when all of the other factors are the same or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by saeon View Post
    okay so i've found a quickfix for now... a small app called cpulimiter... now searching for a less manual method of limiting CPU access for the desired rendering program...
    Alternatively you can see if "nice" helps:
    Code:
    nice ffmpeg -i input.avi output.mp4
    You could also use it for GUI programs, but note that kdenlive uses ffmpeg to encode, so you'll probably have to add nice to the ffmpeg presets in kdenlive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12