Thread: RTW + Steam

Beans

Question RTW + Steam

I have wine setup and running steam correctly. I used steam to download rtw. When i start it, i hear all the sounds, but i only see a black screen. I can click the buttons, and it does the right stuff. I even managed to start a campaign, but still a black screen. Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: RTW + Steam

I have never encountered that before. Are you using the stable version of wine, or the beta version? If you are using beta, uninstall and go for the stable version like 1.1.3. Or, if you don't want to uninstall wine because it was a long, tiring mess to install, try PlayOnLinux first.

But tell me, does your whole screen turn black, or is it just a window? If it is the whole screen, I have seen people getting it to work by switching to Windowed mode--but I'm unsure how they did that in wine if the screen turns black. But you can try it by adding a launch option to a Steam shortcut: -window or this to the game you are trying to play; -nod3d9ex.

Good luck!

Beans

Well. I downgraded the version that came with 12.10 ubuntu, and its working now. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You are welcome and I am glad you got it to work.

Enjoy the game!