Thread: Advice after installation

Beans

Advice after installation

I have tryed several times to install Ubunto 12.10 I believe it is and it installs correctly. Here are the issues I am having that I need to resolve:

I have a Brother MFC 7220 Printer and cannot get the scanner software package PaperPort to work. Scanning is essential to my business.

Cannot get my CD and DVD drives to recognize any disk that I put in them.

If these issues could be resolved I would go back to Ubunto because it is faster and even XP and not to mention Vista bog my computers down.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Advice after installation

Quote Originally Posted by dominionitsolutions View Post
    I have tryed several times to install Ubunto 12.10 I believe it is and it installs correctly. Here are the issues I am having that I need to resolve:

I have a Brother MFC 7220 Printer and cannot get the scanner software package PaperPort to work. Scanning is essential to my business.

Cannot get my CD and DVD drives to recognize any disk that I put in them.

If these issues could be resolved I would go back to Ubunto because it is faster and even XP and not to mention Vista bog my computers down.
    Thanks
    If this machine is going to be "essential to your business" then you should consider replacing 12.10 with 12.04 LTS ("LTS" stands for "Long-Term Support"). Not only will you have a system that will be supported until April 2017 (three years longer than 12.10), but in my recent experience 12.04 LTS has proven to be more reliable than 12.10.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

You may want to consider 12o4 for business purposes, it has long term support (5 years).

What kind of computer do you have? Dual core? How much ram? You also may be better off with something like Xubuntu, Its not as resource heavy as Ubuntu and works well on older systems.

http://xubuntu.org/tour/

Beans
    Hidden!

I agree with the previous replies re; 12.04. Regarding your printer you may need to
    install drivers, several threads deal with Brother printers. See link below.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086335

Regarding the CD/CVD drive, that may not be an issue with 12.04 ?
    Last edited by offgridguy; January 18th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.