Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: another gnome2 fork, and I like it

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

Agreed Deleted
    Last edited by ibjsb4; January 18th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Nothing to do with personal opinion - this is yet another thread about yet another desktop environment.

In fact - yet another desktop environment is a recurring theme.
    Looking at it like that, most of the discussions at these forums would qualify as recurring themes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikeydoherty View Post
    A completely valid point. Makes total sense to put it into recurring discussion.
    Ok so Consort has only just gone public, but forking parts of GNOME is a very old and repeated topic.

Just for clarification: Consort is actually a fork of the GNOME 3 fallback components, not GNOME 2. This is done to ensure 100% compatibility with the rest of the GNOME stack, to the point you could install it on any distro, choose the Consort Desktop session and log in, and still use all your existing GTK3 apps in an integrated way.

I'll try to reply here when I can if folks have questions, that said the amount of attention this recieved actually knocked the main SolusOS.com server offline all morning, and I'm doing maintanence on that all day as well as a few git commits

Final note: I'll be happy to work with someone in the future to bring a PPA to Ubuntu with these packages, was hoping WebUpD8 would've gotten back to me about that one (we previously got the patched Nautilus up in a ppa)
    Very cool

I've been using this DE solution for those who reject Unity and/or Gnome Shell:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

In fact I have 30+ individual PC's setup that way using the Zukitwo themes and I've received no complaints of any magnitude.

After seeing SolusOS 2 Alpha 6 is still Debian based I'll definitely give it a look within just the next few days. My greatest worry is the move to PiSi package management, only because I know nothing about it

As far as I'm concerned there is no rush whatsoever because Precise is supported until April 2017, so rock on Ikey

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Very cool

I've been using this DE solution for those who reject Unity and/or Gnome Shell:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

In fact I have 30+ individual PC's setup that way using the Zukitwo themes and I've received no complaints of any magnitude.

After seeing SolusOS 2 Alpha 6 is still Debian based I'll definitely give it a look within just the next few days. My greatest worry is the move to PiSi package management, only because I know nothing about it

As far as I'm concerned there is no rush whatsoever because Precise is supported until April 2017, so rock on Ikey
    Oh cool At least we have the choice hey? I often find myself going back to Openbox for long periods at a time, but when I miss the desktop its the GNOME 2 experience I want. Not just me though, its the userbase of SolusOS. Kinda what the project is about. Gonna put out an alpha soon for people to test, then start talking with people about setting up testing repos for other distros

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Oh cool At least we have the choice hey? I often find myself going back to Openbox for long periods at a time, but when I miss the desktop its the GNOME 2 experience I want. Not just me though, its the userbase of SolusOS. Kinda what the project is about. Gonna put out an alpha soon for people to test, then start talking with people about setting up testing repos for other distros
    Thanks for your contribution Ikey! I actually hoped someone would continue maintaining the gnome classic environment while keeping it compatible with the gnome3 stack, and it seems like your project not only intends to do that but also enhance it with more features!

Stupid question though, I'm aware most people don't like Compiz but I do. How do you guys feel about support for compiz on top of consort?

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Nothing to do with personal opinion - this is yet another thread about yet another desktop environment.

In fact - yet another desktop environment is a recurring theme.
    That last phrase alone proves my point.
    You should just create two sections in this forum: "Topics I like" and "Meh" and move everything to one or the other depending on how you feel.

- Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning "I can't configure Debian"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hexion View Post
    Thanks for your contribution Ikey! I actually hoped someone would continue maintaining the gnome classic environment while keeping it compatible with the gnome3 stack, and it seems like your project not only intends to do that but also enhance it with more features!

Stupid question though, I'm aware most people don't like Compiz but I do. How do you guys feel about support for compiz on top of consort?
    It's been working in SolusOS 2 before we ever decided to give the desktop a name, just a simple case of running compiz --replace
    Eventually we'll want it as a GSettings key, to choose the default WM as you could with GNOME 2.

Beans

Just wanted to add that Gnome-Panel/Fallback is a nice desktop in itself, and I have used it when setting up Ubuntu for someone else. I'm actually using Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity right now, but some people are more comfortable with the Gnome Fallback desktop. Ikey's SolusOS desktop is much more polished than Fallback, none of that alt-right-click nonsense to add things or move things around. Also the search is very good. IMO it brings Fallback up to and beyond Gnome 2. My wife is using the older SolusOS with Gnome 2, but the transition to SolusOS 2 with Consort will be painless.
    Last edited by KBD47; January 18th, 2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: desktop name change

Beans

In case you're not aware of it GNOME's Vincent Untz literally called for a fork of the "fallback session":

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIzMzE

I wish I knew something about packaging but I don't

I have however been an Ubuntu iso/upgrade tester since 2008 so I'm not a total dummy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: yeah, an other gnome2 fork, and i like it

Oh yes,I agree! We should be able to have the best of both worlds.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Wow..that is SUPER COOL, Ikey

I didn't know it would be possible to make an ubuntu ppa so that your new consort desktop could be installed in ubuntu (much like one can install Linux Mint's Cinnamon Desktop in ubuntu via a ppa...

That would be a wonderful option on ubuntu for sure...i don't mind using unity, but i think it would very excellent to be able to log into a "consort session" on ubuntu...really hope this gets developed!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast