Thread: Anything like Remastersys which can make isos of your installation larger than 4gb?

Beans

Question Anything like Remastersys which can make isos of your installation larger than 4gb?

Hello, I am new here but I know the ubuntu community is very helpful as i have read a lot of threads here since I have re-learned how to linux since almost 2 years now, I am very comfortable now. When I tried in the early 2000's, i think quite literraly the year 2000 with Redhat I was at loss and couldn't make a dual boot and I had to buy another hard drive (they were expensive then too) just so i could reboot into windows and not format the whole drive and lose my data hehe Okay enough presentations, anybody aware of the Remastersys software ? It can make a new .iso file of your installation and added software and modifications. The only problem is that it has a 4gb limit and that isnt enough for it to be like my own personalized distro. Is there anything that does exactly like Remaster sys but makes multiple isos and could be installed by asking, insert disc 2 to continue installation and so on? Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anything like Remastersys which can make isos of your installation larger than 4g

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

Do you want to make a 'big own Ubuntu re-mix' to distribute to other people, or would it be OK to make an image (compressed image, from which you can make cloned copies of your installation).

If you are interested in the latter case, you can use many tools. I suggest Clonezilla (which is also linux software, that you can download from the internet).

If you install no proprietary drivers, and no personal files, for example only a 'guru' user account and do the tweaking, then a cloned copy will be portable to most PCs that run Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Anything like Remastersys which can make isos of your installation larger than 4g

I'm very happy with Xubuntu. I make backups with Clonezilla, but the best compatabillity with other machines is always the livecd/dvd.
    How can I make a livecd like we all did with Remastersys not supported anymore? I didn't any sensible solution on the web.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rijnsma View Post
    I'm very happy with Xubuntu. I make backups with Clonezilla, but the best compatabillity with other machines is always the livecd/dvd.
    How can I make a livecd like we all did with Remastersys not supported anymore? I didn't any sensible solution on the web.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/19013...or-remastersys