Hello:

I am runing 64bit Studio 12.10 on the following hardware
Gygabyte mb 970A-D3
AMD FX8120 cpu
sapphire hd7770 video
24 Gig Kingston hyperX RAM

I use GIMP, OpenShot, Kdenlive extensively and those apps all seem to render slowly (considering hardware resources) and fail to utilise on average more than 30 % of processors and 40% of RAM.

To give you an idea, in GIMP, to render perspective effect on a 10Mb .jpg takes 3-4 minutes and it takes about 3 minutes to export the resulting file to .png.

I recently upgraded RAM from 8 to 24 Gig hoping it would speed up rendering. While it greatly improved responsiveness of OpenShot when editing, rendering speed has not improved in any of these apps.

My system is otherwise extremly tolerant. While it renders, I can use any other app without issues. But I wish it would render faster, I am seeking suggestion on how I could adjust my system so that it utilises more resources (CPU and RAM) when doing that).

One note, when rendering, average total processor load sits between 30-40%, but in turns, individual processor usage hit 100% load. no more than one processor at the time, and for 30-60 seconds periods. Perhaps this is causing slows downs. Would not know where to look to investigate this further and if its is worth it. Would running these apps in virtualisation environment reduce those hardware bottlenecks?

I consider trying the following. If you obtained improvements running these apps or tried any of the above, I would love your comments.

-running OpenShot, Kdeblive and the GIMP as virtual machines. Anyone obtaining better performance that way on a 64 bit system? I suspect that a combination using 32 bit may run faster. Given the many possibilities, I hesitate between using WINE, Playwith Linux, OracleVM and which OS to emulate and also 32bitvs 64).

-Changing the priority for processor of these application from NORMAL to HIGH? (never done that and I am concerned my sys becoming unstable).

-24Gig of RAM provides enough room to operate completly from within RAM. Configure my system like that?

-Overclock CPU/video?

-All, or part of the above?

Thank you