Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manjaro ?

Beans

Re: Manjaro ?

Well if you have access at the library then maybe give Manjaro a spin. Like I said the updates are not frequent and not that big. Think the last time they synced their repos my update was under 300MB.

What speed is the broadband at the library, if it's fast it would go quick. http://www.speedtest.net/

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not sure of the speed at the library, but it is reasonably fast. I will look into the
    speed test link, thanks. I have downloaded iso files there up to 1.6 gb. in about
    20 minutes so 300 mb should be no problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I am not sure of the speed at the library, but it is reasonably fast. I will look into the
    speed test link, thanks. I have downloaded iso files there up to 1.6 gb. in about
    20 minutes
    so 300 mb should be no problem.
    That's super fast. In that case I would say try Manjaro out, can't see the majaro updates taking longer than 4mins at those speeds and they don;t come around often.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That's super fast. In that case I would say try Manjaro out, can't see the majaro updates taking longer than 4mins at those speeds and they don;t come around often.
    It seemed fast to me, but i haven't been around broadband enough to know.
    I am wondering, if i buy the install disk from ebay, will it come with a lot of packages that are not necessary ?
    edit; here is what i was looking at.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Manjaro-Linux...h=item4ac05465
    Last edited by offgridguy; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:01 AM.

Beans

I am wondering, if i buy the install disk from ebay, will it come with a lot of packages that are not necessary ?
    I have no idea what the different versions come with as I have only ever used the netinstall media. This way I decide what to install but this is not for everybody as the procedure is basically identical to installing Arch, roll your own.

Have a look at the *-pkgs.txt files here http://sourceforge.net/projects/manj...release/0.8.3/

They list all installed packages for each version.

If you are gonna order from eBay just specify you want the 0.8.3 install media and your preference wrt 32/64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!

Will do. and thanks again for the advice.

Beans
    Hidden!

Update, I did download the net install, but not having much success at getting it installed. It is a very different installer than I
    am familiar with, can't get past the selecting partition and writing to disk, perhaps if I used the option 'create new partition
    in free space' but I don't want to do that.

I realize this is not a support forum for manjaro, but perhaps
    someone could point me in the right direction.

Beans

...can't get past the selecting partition and writing to disk, perhaps if I used the option 'create new partition
    in free space' but I don't want to do that.
    What do you want to do?

See http://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/In...able_Installer

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Thanks mips, I wanted to install to a partition already created, however after reading the process in the link you provided, it looks like it would be easier to allow the installer to install to the free space. Right now i have 1 extended partition with multi
    logical within it, So lots of room for another primary.

Beans

Thanks mips, I wanted to install to a partition already created...
    I recall people having issues with that on the Manjaro forums if it's an existing partition with data in it o something like that. Don't recall if it was 'fixed' but I think there was a workaround.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast