Thread: Oracle News

Beans

Oracle News

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/oracl...curity-problem

So what should we be doing to protect ourselves, using Ubuntu 12.04, Firefox or Opera? We are connected through cable service and modem.

Beans

Re: Oracle News

Ubuntu comes with openjdk, so unless you manually installed oracles java, you dont have to do anything except keeping ubuntu updated. If you did install oracle java, you more than likely installed it with a PPA, which also keeps up to date when you update your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Like Mr. Cow said, you should be safe. I have a Dual boot though. (Vista and Ubuntu.) On vista I just went to firefox, then to tools, (Or add-ons will do.) And then to plug-ins to disable java till I feel it is fine to use it again. I checked on Ubuntu to do the same, but seen I did not have Java installed on my browser and left it at that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is likely little safety in OpenJDK 7 since it is the reference implementation for Oracle Java 7 -- by Oracle's own insistence.

When Oracle had the several security problems last fall, Red Hat's labs reported that the vulnerabilities existed also in OpenJDK.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

And your recomendation is?? I do have the iced tea which includes open jdk7

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    There is likely little safety in OpenJDK 7 since it is the reference implementation for Oracle Java 7 -- by Oracle's own insistence.

When Oracle had the several security problems last fall, Red Hat's labs reported that the vulnerabilities existed also in OpenJDK.
    Hummmm.....would have been nice to have read about that last fall. I guess none of us are safe for now regardless of which Java we have installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rosswmcgee View Post
    And your recomendation is?? I do have the iced tea which includes open jdk7
    I just went to Firefox > Tools > Add-ons > plugins and disabled icedtea. I'm not sure about other browsers.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it just the browsers where the vulnerability is? I know LibreOffice uses Java, and like a lot of us I use broadband so my internet connection is always up. Didn't know if it can be in the Java that LibreOffice uses and access the net.

Moved to Recurring Discussions. Nothing new about Java, or Oracle, or bugs in them.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Is it just the browsers where the vulnerability is? I know LibreOffice uses Java, and like a lot of us I use broadband so my internet connection is always up. Didn't know if it can be in the Java that LibreOffice uses and access the net.
    It only deals with the browser plugin. LO doesn't go visit random sites does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Moved to Recurring Discussions. Nothing new about Java, or Oracle, or bugs in them.
    Indeed. It is as bad as flash tbh.

I don't even have Java installed on my home machines as I don't need to. Now my work machines are a different story, which sucks because several of the remote connection software we use runs on Java.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...