Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming - why can't the live media offer a version downgrade?

Re: Brainstorming - why can't the live media offer a version downgrade?

I've got a 12.04.1 install I did the other day & if booting to either that live image (usb) or the 12.04.2 image (usb also) can't say I even see any "reinstall" options
    Only get the 'older' 3 option partitioning window (Install alongside of, ect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I've got a 12.04.1 install I did the other day & if booting to either that live image (usb) or the 12.04.2 image (usb also) can't say I even see any "reinstall" options
    Only get the 'older' 3 option partitioning window (Install alongside of, ect.
    Ditto that. I even went back as far the original 12.04 iso and there is NO reinstall option to be found in Precise, but Oneiric was basically OK:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...8&d=1358427210

Sort of goofy calling it an upgrade but it worked OK

I was surprised to see it didn't work in Precise, guess I need to be sure and run that test everytime there's an official release.

I think Nick is working on some new test-cases for ubiquity so we'll be reminded

If you look at the descrip on bug report which was filed on 12.10 it says
    TEST CASE:
    1. Install Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04.1 once
    2. Install it a second time and in the partitioning step select "Reinstall Ubuntu 12.10"

Don't get what "it" means unless it's -
    install 12.04.1/2 (no 12.10 install
    boot to 12.10 live & select "Reinstall Ubuntu 12.10"

Beans

If you look at the descrip on bug report which was filed on 12.10 it says
    TEST CASE:
    1. Install Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04.1 once
    2. Install it a second time and in the partitioning step select "Reinstall Ubuntu 12.10"

Don't get what "it" means unless it's -
    install 12.04.1/2 (no 12.10 install
    boot to 12.10 live & select "Reinstall Ubuntu 12.10"
    In that case it would be called an upgrade:

live_upgrade_12.04_to_12.10.jpg

But something else just dawned on me ........ no auto-resize option:

12.04.2_no_resize.jpg

Maybe because it's already a dual-boot

I need to swap drives and see what happens

But first of all it's time for a shower and a shave, the dogs won't even get close to me

Beans

Wow, life is better w/o a neck-beard

Anyway I'm starting very simple this time. This drive has only a fully updated Precise on it, including proposed updates, and I see no updates to ubiquity since the 10th:

ubiquity (2.10.24) precise; urgency=low

[ Jesse Sung ]
    * Fix multiple issues with Back/Stop and Continue/Connect buttons on
    wireless page (LP: #883615).

[ Kent Baxley ]
    * Hide the back button at the beginning of oem-config (LP: #1095692).

-- Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com> Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:32:41 +0000
    An installation can't get much simpler than this, one drive, one OS {Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386 (20120817.3)}:

Screenshot from 2013-01-19 12:54:59.png

So we'll see what happens

But this may take a while because I'm moving part of my office to the kitchen and another part to the bedroom because the landlord is rebuilding part of the foundation due to the drought causing the foundation to shift

So please be patient.

Could be wrong but -
    I think that bug you're looking at started as one thing - the "re-install" option in 12.10 failing (why he mentioned 12.04.1 no clue

This exposed an issue in apt-clone for both 12.10 & 12.04, so the verification for 12.04.x is whether apt-clone works, not whether the "re-install" option works as so far there doesn't appear to be one in 12.04.x (unless you find it somehow..

Beans

Could be wrong but -
    I think that bug you're looking at started as one thing - the "re-install" option in 12.10 failing (why he mentioned 12.04.1 no clue

This exposed an issue in apt-clone for both 12.10 & 12.04, so the verification for 12.04.x is whether apt-clone works, not whether the "re-install" option works as so far there doesn't appear to be one in 12.04.x (unless you find it somehow..
    That is exactly correct

But the reinstall option did actually exist beginning with Maverick. Somewhere between Oneiric and Precise it got totally borked, and I'm fairly certain that even the "auto-resize" option got borked too

Beans

OK, as applies to the setup in post #25 "auto-resize" does appear as an option if only one OS exists:

resize_only_with_one.jpg

But still no "reinstall" which did work in Oneiric even though it said "upgrade Oneiric to Oneiric" ......... that's a regression

So dino99 was right here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...86&postcount=2

If the alternate images still existed I'd recommend never installing with the live image! It's an absolute crap shoot!

Beans

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What I was requesting already existed in Oneiric:

Downgrade_in_Oneiric.jpg

I'll grant you the naming was wrong because 12.04.1 to 11.10 is NOT an upgrade but I'll complete that to see what happens.

This whole thing is looking like a major regression to me, not that convincing the installer-team will be easy

In my experience they're possibly the most insular team in Canonical/Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What I was requesting already existed in Oneiric:

Downgrade_in_Oneiric.jpg

I'll grant you the naming was wrong because 12.04.1 to 11.10 is NOT an upgrade but I'll complete that to see what happens.

This whole thing is looking like a major regression to me, not that convincing the installer-team will be easy

In my experience they're possibly the most insular team in Canonical/Ubuntu
    That worked fine other than needing to tweak the theme afterwards, oh and you do always get an error message like this:

error_reinstalling_packages.png

So that could be improved upon, but that's another issue.

The thing is that Oneiric offered "reuse", always called "upgrade" regardless of what version of Ubuntu was installed, but Precise is pretty much borked.

Was that intentional?

I see it as a regression

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast