Thread: Re-installing Flash Player 9 in Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit

Hybrid View

Beans

Angry Re-installing Flash Player 9 in Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit

What steps would I take to re-install Adobe Flash Player 9 in my Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit OS? Would this be the best version, or is there a newer, better one which is compatible?

I originally had a version of Flash Player 9 installed in my system and was trying to upgrade to Adobe's latest version (which is 11.2) I believe, but found out that I couldn't do so since my system/computer doesn't meet the requirements.

I have tried and tried to install Version 11.2, but to no avail... During the process, I was successful in removing Version 9 from the repository, but in the final step, it was not recognizing the package.

Hence what would be the correct steps to follow in order to get my system back up and running with Flash Player???

Any legit help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Re-installing Flash Player 9 in Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit

sprimod: The Desktop (GUI) version of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) reached end-of-life on May 12, 2011 and is therefore no longer supported.

I recommend you install a supported release of Ubuntu. If you have an older PC with a lower spec then Lubuntu or similar might be more appropriate.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Re-installing Flash Player 9 in Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    sprimod: The Desktop (GUI) version of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) reached end-of-life on May 12, 2011 and is therefore no longer supported.

I recommend you install a supported release of Ubuntu. If you have an older PC with a lower spec then Lubuntu or similar might be more appropriate.
    Zill is correct. If you like, you can upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 and then to 12.04, skipping all the other releases between. It is nice to be on an LTS release. I'm still running a few 8.04 servers here, but those are supported a few more months. I'm actively migrating those to 10.04 or 12.04 this week. Servers on LTS got longer support than desktops. I think that has changed with 12.04.

Even 10.04 desktop isn't well supported anymore, so you really can't stop at that release. I was forced to upgrade Mom's PC last fall after Firefox and Thunderbird programs stopped getting patched for the 10.04 releases. Basically, the kernels and libc code are too out of date for developers to attempt to support. Mom is on 12.04 Lubuntu and happy now.

I shudder to think about anyone running an 8.04 desktop still. Scary bugs and security concerns.