Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install game from a .run filetype?

Beans

install game from a .run filetype?

I'm trying to install a program into my 12.10 Xubuntu system. I currently have ver .9x installed, but need to install ver 1.x to access the server.

The software center and synaptic do not list the newer version and the software won't allow me to access the server unless I'm running the newer (ver 1.x) version.

Sourceforge shows an available 1.x version, but only with a .run extension.

I downloaded the newest version in the available .run filetype and it is on my desktop. I enabled it to run as an executable. There is no typo in the filename, I used copy and paste to get the filename into the terminal command as shown below.

artie@superuser:~/Desktop$ ./PokerTH-1.0-linux-installer.run
    artie@superuser:~/Desktop$

When the above is run in terminal, it completes instantaneously and doesn't produce an error message. I didn't notice any harddrive activity. But, ver 1.x isn't installed.........

Any idea why I can't install it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: install game from a .run filetype?

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Jakin; January 12th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye-windows(tm) View Post
    I'm trying to install a program into my 12.10 Xubuntu system. I currently have ver .9x installed, but need to install ver 1.x to access the server.

The software center and synaptic do not list the newer version and the software won't allow me to access the server unless I'm running the newer (ver 1.x) version.

Sourceforge shows an available 1.x version, but only with a .run extension.

I downloaded the newest version in the available .run filetype and it is on my desktop. I enabled it to run as an executable. There is no typo in the filename, I used copy and paste to get the filename into the terminal command as shown below.

artie@superuser:~/Desktop$ ./PokerTH-1.0-linux-installer.run
    artie@superuser:~/Desktop$

When the above is run in terminal, it completes instantaneously and doesn't produce an error message. I didn't notice any harddrive activity. But, ver 1.x isn't installed.........

Any idea why I can't install it?
    When I saw the post title, first thing I thought of was ensuring you had it marked as executable, and running it from the terminal... which you already seemed to have done.

I'm out of ideas, but just letting you know that the basics have been covered, and you aren't making a simple mistake. Perhaps the download is broken?
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

1.0 is available from the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team PPA.

If you still want to use the .run, note that it's a 32bit binary, so if you have 64bit Xubuntu installed you may need 32bit libraries on your system.
    Last edited by DoktorSeven; January 12th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Thanks Doktor

I do indeed have a 64 bit machine, but have many 32 bit programs already installed. SO, I never suspected this was an issue.

Do I need to search out and install 32 bit libraries even though they should be present already? If I need to install the 32 bit libraries, is symantic the best way to install them??

I did look at the directions for adding the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team PPA.

After selecting my version (12.10) from the dropdown box, I am told to enter these 2 lines into the terminal in order to add the Debian/Games Team PPA:

I get the following error:

Code:
    artie@superuser:~$ deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkg-games/ppa/ubuntu quantal main
    No command 'deb' found, did you mean:
     Command 'debc' from package 'devscripts' (main)
     Command 'derb' from package 'libicu-dev' (main)
     Command 'dab' from package 'bsdgames' (universe)
     Command 'debi' from package 'devscripts' (main)
     Command 'xdeb' from package 'xdeb' (universe)
     Command 'dwb' from package 'dwb' (universe)
    deb: command not found
    artie@superuser:~$
    There are changes made in 12.10, is it possible the deb command has changed???

I did look in the software sources>other software, it doesn't indicate the ppa is present, so this is likely the problem???

TY.

Art

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

This will give you the 32 bit libraries, and doesn't require any special repository!
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

I installed the 32 bit libraries, without errors. I restarted the computer, and tried to execute the pokerth.run file that's saved on my desktop.

I right click on the .run file and select 'execute' from the window that pops up.....but nothing happens.

So, I'm stuck.

Art

Beans

I'm not saying it's necessarily the right way to go but fyi to add a ppa the

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkg-games/ppa/ubuntu quantal main  
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pkg-games/ppa/ubuntu quantal main
    lines would NOT go in a terminal they would need to go in a FILE - either your /etc/apt/sources.list file or a custom file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Or you could add them via the Software Center --> Edit --> Software Sources... --> Other Software --> Add...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Or you could add them via the Software Center --> Edit --> Software Sources... --> Other Software --> Add...
    this i find convenient. then you refresh/reload the software and search for the game in the software center. new version should appear.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    this i find convenient. then you refresh/reload the software and search for the game in the software center. new version should appear.

Hi Masta,

I installed the games ppa by adding new entries to the software sources. I have attached a screen capture showing my software sources.

When you say I should 'refresh/reload', does this mean I have to delete the old pokerth program (ver .9x) and then the newer version (ver 1.x) will appear in the software center????

I do have the .run file (latest 1.x ver) on my desktop, but nothing happens when I attempt to execute it or double click on it.

How do I install the new ver 1 software?

TY.

Art
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast