Thread: Backtrack 5 wireless network problems?

Beans

Backtrack 5 wireless network problems?

Having a slight problem with my wireless network! I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my windows 7 laptop but decided i wanted to go with backtrack 5 r3 instead after sampling it from usb. So i installed Backtrack 5 last night and everything was working well including my wireless network connection. When i booted up today and opened Wicd no wireless connections where detected only my wired connection was available to connect to. So i tried a number of different commands to start networking ect but nothing will work. Then i booted Ubuntu 12.10 from my usb again and also could not connect to my wireless connection on Ubuntu. When opening Wicd > Preferences then under network interfaces the wireless interface box is empty and the wired interface has ech0. Would really appreciate if someone could advise me on this as last night my wireless was working fine on Backtrack 5 and Ubuntu.

description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    Last edited by berry1; January 14th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Beans

Re: Backtrack 5 wireless network problems?

I figured that my network card was probably not compatible with backtrack so bought a netgear usb wireless adapter. Wicd shows the available wireless networks to connect to but wont connect to my network .

I tried disabling encryption but it says 'this network requires encryption to be enabled'. Then i changed the encryption to WEP and got the error message 'Could not obtain IP address' then tried changing it to WPA and got a different error message 'Bad password'.

Could someone please advise me on this?
    Thanks!

Beans

Update: Wireless network connection now working with encryption disabled anyone know how i can enable my network encryption and still connect through wicd? Because right now im back on the wired connection as i don't want to use my network unsecured.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by berry1; January 15th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Beans

i have installed backtrack 5 r2 and i install network gnome manager ,with VPN connection i'm going on internet ,that's ok ,
    problem is next, i buy new computer ,install bt and now i can not connect to VPN ,everything is ok but vpn connection is failed every time i try to connect
    when i replace HDD to old computer and start BT i can connect to VPN ,put the HDD back to new computer and again the same error ,

any help ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by berry1 View Post
    I figured that my network card was probably not compatible with backtrack so bought a netgear usb wireless adapter. Wicd shows the available wireless networks to connect to but wont connect to my network .

I tried disabling encryption but it says 'this network requires encryption to be enabled'. Then i changed the encryption to WEP and got the error message 'Could not obtain IP address' then tried changing it to WPA and got a different error message 'Bad password'.

Could someone please advise me on this?
    Thanks!
    Hi:

Depending on what network card you have it may just be that you need a driver. A list of cards are on this page
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/wiki/...reless_Drivers

This Netgear works

• Netgear wg111v2 - using the mac80211 rtl8187 drivers-passed IF this is the one you have
    • Which Netgear USB Adapter do you have? The wg111? wg311v3? wpn111?

To find out what network interface card you have you can open the terminal and run the command:
    Code:
    lspci
    Post the output to that command so others can read the output and help you.
    Last edited by UltimateCat; February 9th, 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Post Netgear and driver
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

I wasn't sure if you are East Coast or West to choose the driver for you.
    Scroll down to about the middle of the page and you'll see the Linux Drivers.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/...ID=3&GETDOWN=F

In my case I had to download the driver for my USB Adaptor and a driver for my NIC and after I installed the drivers I was able to get Ubuntu online.
    Last edited by UltimateCat; February 9th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15