Thread: Printer / scanner all in one on USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Printer / scanner all in one on USB

Trying to get a Dell AIO 810 to work on the USB in Precise. There doesn't seem to be a suitable driver. Any suggestions preferably for both printer and scanner but otherwise at least the printer. Both used to work under an old copy of windows XP but that is not available any more.

Beans

Re: Printer / scanner all in one on USB

Do you have the original install CD's?
    If so, break 'em out, the drivers are located on the CD.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks mrjava, I'll have to look to see if I've still got the CD. The all in one printer scanner came at no extra cost (free?) with a Dell system I bought some years ago that came loaded with Windows XP. As the printer and scanner were inferior to my separate devices it never got used very much and even less when I found out the cost of ink!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hope mrjava is right. Dell printers are typically rebadged Lexmarks. Lexmark's consumer grade hardware linux support is nothing to brag on.

Beans
    Distro

I have looked at the original CD (with a Windows machine as I am away from my Ubuntu one) but there is no sign of any Linux support. I'll give it a try next time I'm home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unless your Windows machine hides certain file types, I'd think you'd see something recognizable as Linux related. I had a Lexmark printer that did include linux support and the linux software on the CD was quite obvious. This may or may not matter but are you aware that Lexmark is getting out of the consumer/SOHO inkjet business? They've said they're ceasing production of new machines this year and closing the supplies plant in the Phillipines in 2015. I haven't heard anything about Dell.