Thread: Can't log in through Lubuntu GUI login

Beans

Can't log in through Lubuntu GUI login

I am unable to login to either of my accounts that have passwords through the Lubuntu GUI login. When I type my password and click login, the screen goes black for a second but then just goes back to the same login screen, with the password box now cleared.

I can login to the "Guest Account" (which has no password) just fine through the GUI. I know that I am entering the correct password - when I enter a wrong one, it says "Incorrect password, please try again". I am able to login through SSH using my password just fine.

I installed Lubuntu on top of Ubuntu server inside of a VirtualBox VM (running on an OSX host).

Does anyone have any idea why the Lubuntu login GUI might not be working for accounts with passwords for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Can't log in through Lubuntu GUI login

Have you changed your password recently?
    I had a similar problem once, turned out I had only changed the password to my user-account, but my encrypted home-dir still had the old password. Changing the password for the encrypted home-dir fixed the problem for me.
    “There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.” -Douglas Adams.

Beans

Hi,
    I have installed, Peppermint, Lubuntu and Xubutu. I experience the same problem with all. I am connecting to the the internet through a university (RMIT) internet connection. I have eventually figured out how in "run" to configure the proxy to allow internet access through Chrome, but is crashes constantly. I downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox, which works well BUT in neither Chrome or Firefox can I sign into Google to access my mail. I am completely lost. This is only a problem at the university.

So I have tried a work around using a wireless connection. I follow the univerisity wireless setup using the correct setup but I just cannot connect to the internet. I am not a geeky but have a reasonable grasp on computer stuff.

THOUGHTS....IDEAS.....I am desparing.

Big John

Beans

Whoops sorry...I replied rather than start a new thread!