Thread: Confused about Samba member server

Beans

Question Confused about Samba member server

Hi all,

I'm working in a mixed Windows/Linux environment with about 50machines.

I successfully set up a Samba PDC backed by Open LDAP, hooked postfix, dovecot etc into it and all is gravy. Machines join the Samba domain, people log in, all is well.

So now all that was left to do was the "simple" share some directories on the server and lock them down to certain user groups.

To complicate things a little, I didn't want to handle the shares on the PDC, instead I have another server that has the shares on them.

So after reading lots of info on samba.org and other places I set samba to security = domain on the fileserver, joined the domain and all seemed ok until I tried to access the shares.

I can see the shares themselves but I get prompted for passwords and then access denied.

Testing with smbclient I get the same denied errors.

Finally (not sure if this is related) running getent on the file server returns none of my LDAP users but on the PDC it returns them as expected.

If I set the shares to guest ok = yes. I can do what I need to do but its not secure in any sense.

What am I missing?
    Is security = domain correct for a pure Samba domain or does it only work with Windows domains?
    Should I just give up and mount the shares via NFS on the PDC? I'm not sure what impact this has network traffic wise.
    I've read a bit about using nss to authenticate directly with Open LDAP but can't find a decent starting point, does anyone know of a good tutorial?

Heres my samba config:

[global]
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    security = DOMAIN
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    logon script = logon.bat
    logon drive = Z:
    logon home = \\FILESERVER\user$\%U
    dns proxy = No
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    idmap config * : backend = tdb

[Technical]
    comment = Technical Users
    path = /data/Technical
    read list = @uk-technical
    write list = @uk-technical
    read only = No
    directory mask = 0775

Any hints would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Confused about Samba member server

You mention LDAP backend, yet you have pointed the password program to the local linux machine. I have not done this, but from what I can see, it seems you need to point the fileserver at the LDAP backend for authentication.

This link may help get you started.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

Hi,

I was under the impression that security = domain passes the authentication off to the PDC but either way I couldn't get it to work.

The NFS Share route is working which is a good work around and buys me some time to figure out the real issue.

I did try configuring the file server as a standalone as per the link given but that didn't work either.

Thanks for the info either way volkswagner

Beans

Hi again all,

After dealing with the hassles of NFS shares over Samba I decided to give this another go and hit similar walls.

Heres my current method for trying to get things to play nice:

SAMBA PDC authenticating via LDAP running locally
    SAMBA BDC authenticating via LDAP on the PDC

I have shares mainly on the BDC as this is the machine with all the storage, my problem is that that the BDC doesn't seem to be trying to authenticate via LDAP at all.

If I run getent passwd on the PDC I get a nice list of all my LDAP users, if I run the same on the BDC I just get local linux accounts.

Heres the highlights of the BDC smb.conf which hopefully will give someone some hints:

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ip_address_of_PDC
    ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=madeup,dc=domain
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ldap suffix = dc=madeup,dc=domain
    ldap ssl = no
    ldap user suffix = ou=People

I've added the ldap admin password to the secrets file with:

smbpasswd -W

I've also added ldap to the nsswitch.conf file.

Apologies for what must be the stupid questions but I'm going around in circles at the moment a cursory look through /var/log/ doesn't even seem to be registering any failed attempts, although I Feel like I'm missing a log file somewhere.

Once again any help is appreciated, its obviously something silly that I've over looked but google is refusing to co-operate for a change.