Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10.04 Portable HD Boot Drops to BusyBox

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 10.04 Portable HD Boot Drops to BusyBox

von Corax;

I do not remember, but I was hoping that the initramfs-update would run from the (initramfs) prompt..There is but a limited number of commands available.

Next thought, can you boot up ubuntu in "recovery mode" from the grub menu, if so try "repair a broken system"; See if fsck will detect/fix the situation.
    While that thought is in my mind, you might try and run "fsck" from the liveCD on "sdb1".

Failing that, perhaps try a "chroot" from the liveCD into the sdb1 install and try and run the update command that way.
    where there is a will, there is a way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Graaaaahhhh!!!!!

When I tried "Repair System" from the CD it didn't offer the external as a possible root volume, and the in the repair shell I discovered that no /dev/sdb* nodes existed.

On a whim I unplugged the (USB3) drive from the USB3 port and plugged it into USB2 and tried again; this time /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb5 were listed on the root selector, so I tried rebooting from the external and I'm now looking at the Ubuntu desktop just as I had set it up on the other machine.

Apparently something in the boot sequence doesn't like USB3.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 10.04 Portable HD Boot Drops to BusyBox

von Corax;

That is good news indeed. And yes I have read other instances where USB3 had difficulties. I do not recall the particulars.

On a good note for me, in the process of looking at the initramfs process it's self, I found the method to remap devices to UUID's. Will now file it for future reference. //As the buss was not talking to the drive, would probably not remap anyhow//

As you are up and running, please mark this thread as solved (thread tools above).
    happy ubuntu'n

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12