Thread: .jar and .zip Archives are Confused

Beans

Question .jar and .zip Archives are Confused

My Lubuntu desktop has got .jar and .zip archives confused. They both appear as ZIP Archive to the system. I have been through /etc/xdg/lubuntu/applications/defaults.list and /etc/gnome/defaults.list and have set up application/x-java-archive, application/x-java, and application/java-archive to open with my java.desktop file. I have also been through the /usr/share/mime directory. Everything seems fine there. But still anytime I change the default application for either .jar or .zip files, it also changes it for the other. Any ideas how these two mime-types are affecting each other?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: .jar and .zip Archives are Confused

I think .jar files are .zip files, just with java content. For example if you download .jar files in Internet Explorer it uses its own convoluted method to determine file type and incorrectly saves them with .zip filename extension.

But the only .jar files I run need parameters, so I never run them by double click, I either put scripts in my ~/bin to launch them or something like this in a desktop launcher:
    Code:
    sh -c 'java -Xmx2G -Xms1G -cp ~/MC-client/minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame'
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Did you just update your Java like me? Because it just did the same thing for me as well after updating my Java.

Anyway a quick work around for this is to right click on .jar file and click "Open With", go to the "Custom Command Line" tab, and put in

Code:
     cautious-launcher %f /usr/bin/java -jar
    Set it as the default action and it should open all .jar files correctly then.

Beans

I got it fixed, but it was a week or so ago and I'm not sure if I remember how I did it. I was screwing around with the mimetypes files. I think I created a new mimetype for .jar files. I think your workaround would have worked too Gaygerbil, thanks.