Thread: Ejecting removable media and partitions

Beans

Exclamation Ejecting removable media and partitions

Ok, so I just wiped Ubuntu 12.04 LTS off of my computer and installed Xubuntu 12.04. A couple of things I've noticed that are a little strange all of a sudden. I also installed BackTrack5 afterwards and all that seems fine, the boot manager is there though I haven't yet booted to BT. The funky things are these, I plugged in my portable 1TB seagate and can't seem to eject it. It's not mounted, but I don't feel safe removing it yet. Is it just me, and I can already safely remove it or is there another step towards removing it? Also, I have a pair of partitions (one FAT32 ~95GB and one ext4 ~48GB) that are also showing on the desktop, though they don't seem to be mounted, and I can't seem to get rid of them. The FAT32 one won't open either! What's going on here? I never had this problem in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I don't need the 48GB to ever show up, and the FAT32 is my data drive. Also, when I shutdown, can I remove the portable USB drive and start the system up again without causing any harm to either?

and on a sidenote, i can't get the sound settings panel to show up so that I can increase sound beyond 100% like I could in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Are there things or programs/drivers I haven't yet done/installed that affect these kinds of things? Any one command fixes that check for missing drivers and or programs that are necessary for proper operation? I've installed all the updates and restarted a couple of times.
    Last edited by freddo63; January 12th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ejecting removable media and partitions

In the file manager (thunar) press F9 to get the sidepane (or menu View Sidepane Shortcuts) and there should be an eject symbol next to the drive. For USB devices, it powers them off as well as unmounting them.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ejecting removable media and partitions

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    In the file manager (thunar) press F9 to get the sidepane (or menu View Sidepane Shortcuts) and there should be an eject symbol next to the drive. For USB devices, it powers them off as well as unmounting them.
    As far as I can tell, it only unmounted the TB external USB drive, but it didn't disappear from there. Also nothing happens to the two partitions when I click the eject button on them... =/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In which case I would use the command
    sudo umount <wherever>
    where <wherever> is either the device (like /dev/sdc1) or the mount point (like /media/123ABC).
    You will not be able to unmount when there is a command prompt or a file manager using that mount point though - cd all your command prompts to home and change all your thunar windows to look at home as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can hide desktop icons for drives: Settings > Desktop > icons tab
    and adjust settings to you taste

May be better to setup a line in your fstab for your data partition?
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?