Thread: wicd not working, need info on connecting manually?

Beans

wicd not working, need info on connecting manually?

Continue having difficulty with WICD not finding any wireless networks. I've reviewed many forums and posts looking for answers.

Ran sudo ifconfig -a ; sudo ifconfig wlan0 up; iwconfig wlan0 essid Eagle1; iwlist wlan0 scan essid Eagle1; and so on. All indications thru terminal window reflected a wireless signal being detected by my laptop, but WICD wasn't finding any wireless. My ssid is not broadcasted, but WICD allows you to 'find a hidden network'. Entering my ssid info, wicd still found nothing.

Reviewing other threads i saw that i could purge WICD thru the apt-get purge wicd* ; but when i attempted to do an apt-get install wicd, no luck. Looking at another post, i saw reference to synaptic package mgr. I found the wicd pkg, but of course i couldn't install because--I HAVE NO INTERNET CONNECTION. Yes, it was a bonehead moment.

I restarted my box and ethernet connection found. I used synaptic package mgr to install wicd. Still no wireless.

When i do an IWLIST SCAN i see my router with it's hidden beacon: ESSID: "\x00\x00\x00……"
    I then executed SUDO IWCONFIG WLAN0 SCAN ESSID EAGLE1, and i see my ssid and associated parameters: encryption key on, bit rates, freq, etc.
    But when i go to the wicd n/w mgr, it tells me there no wireless networks found.

I ran DMESG |GREP WLAN0 and saw the following: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_UP), wlan0: link is not ready. Then DMESG |GREP IWL3945, and got this: detected intel wireless wifi link 3945abg.
    Reviewing some other threads, i ran LSHW -C NETWORK and saw my PRO/Wireless 3945G info, then i ran RFKILL LIST ALL and saw nothing is blocked.

I'm at a loss and need help? I'm using Backtrack 5 (Ubunto 10.04).

Beans

Re: wicd not working, need info on connecting manually?

Not getting a lot of help thru a variety of forums; I was given this link
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

When I run this cmd I get:
    root@bt:~# lsmod |grep iwl3945
    iwl3945 72170 0
    iwl_legacy 65230 1 iwl3945
    mac80211 410313 2 iwl3945,iwl_legacy
    cfg80211 160399 3 iwl3945,iwl_legacy,mac80211

So I don't see how the above link can help. Can someone provide some instruction for connecting a wireless connection thru cmd line?
    Would really appreciate some assistance, thanks.

Beans

Please post the contents of your /etc/networking/interfaces file.

Make sure to enclose the rely in CODE or QUOTE tags.
    Code:
    Like this
    Last edited by Cheesehead; January 27th, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Beans

Hello,

I'm using ubuntu 12.10 i would like to use WICD on gnome shell, is it possible ¿? May i have to uninstall network-manager ¿?

In the past i've use wicd on 11.04 and 11.10