A Linux newbie here (as root, or sys-admin at least). I purchased a new Ratel Performance for my first Linux box, it should arrive in a couple of days. Looking forward to getting good at this. I have these questions for when I first get my new Ratel out of the box:
1) I presume that my Ratel will arrive with one user, root, is that correct?
2) Will the userID for root be 0?
2a) If not, what will the userID for root be?
3) How will I know the first password for root?
4) Won't I always have to log in as root to add a new user?
5) I intend to create a new user whose privilege is root for my own normal log on. Is that a good approach?
6) Also, I know I'm getting Ubuntu v12.10. But for my information, what version of Linux will it be running on?
Thanks! Looking forward to being part of the Ubuntu community.