Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want to switch back to ubuntu 12.04

Beans

i want to switch back to ubuntu 12.04

i ugraded from 12.04 to 12.10 and at first i was perfectly happy with it. but over the pasttwo momths or so i have become increasingly frustrated wit it. virtualbox wont work and i have tried every solution i could find at least twice, i cant get avant dockbar any more and a whole host of other really annoying stuff has just made me decide to throw in the towel with 12.10 and go back to a version that works. is there a way for me to be able to just switch back without losing all my files or am i going to have to bite the bullet and back up everything and just do a from scratch install of 12.04 again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: i want to switch back to ubuntu 12.04!!!!!!!

you should not have to worry for your data & settings if you have a separate /home partition; but otherwise make a backup.

There is no way to "downgrade", so start from scratch with a standard installation, like:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...06&postcount=4

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: i want to switch back to ubuntu 12.04!!!!!!!

+1 for dino99

A fresh installation really is no big deal, especially if you are going to have a problem-free Linux version to deal with in the future.

If you don't happen to like Unity in Ubuntu 12.04, do remember that there is also Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

I use Ubuntu 12.04 in Classic mode and Xubuntu 12.04. I enjoy using both of them.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/x...-pangolin.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...-xubuntu-12.04

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Beans

Re: i want to switch back to ubuntu 12.04

it isnt unity that i have a problem with. im not exatcly thrilled with it but it is pretty good. i prefer the old menu style from ubuntu 10.04 which i can get through AWN on the software centre so its not a big hardship but unity does in fact have its usefulness. itsjust that overall 12.10 has not lived up to its hype and has become increasingly frustrated with it. there have been several issues such as my virtualbox doesnt work anymore but it was working fine on 12.04, and a few ofmy games like "cycle" and "kernel panic" wont install. i have looked into most of it and it pretty much looks like its an issue with 12.10 itself as well as the programs i want are not supported yet. as for the rest that i havent looked into yet im pretty sure its going to end up being the same. as for unity...im interested in the gnome3 interface because i like the eye candy factor but in linux users magazine it said that there were functionality issues. as for the software center itself...if you go back to the interface in 10.04 you could check all boxes for everything you wantedto download at one time, but now you have to use the current interface which is pefectly functional but just very tedious. i wish they would go back to that. if anyone knows which thread to post that bit if wishlist to feel free to do so. as for having to do a clean install, thats not a problem. i will just get the 12.04 iso from the homepage and when i get my other laptop up and running again i will backup everything from this rig and go from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJimmy View Post
    I prefer the old menu style from ubuntu 10.04 ...
    Then Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is worth considering.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MasterJimmy,

Just like you I loved Ubuntu 10.04 and I simply wanted to continue with more of the same.

That is why I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and then modified it run along the lines of 10.04:

Give it a go. You will not be disappointed.

As above, alternatively try Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans

i did a quick look at the k/l/x/ubuntu versions and they each have their attractions. i do really like the look of x/kubuntu but havent been able to find any pics of how lubuntu looks. my major question i have when itcomes to using anytyhing but ubuntu is that i really like the range of software available on ubuntu software centre, what is the chance of being able to use it if i decide to go with k/l/or xubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJimmy View Post
    i did a quick look at the k/l/x/ubuntu versions and they each have their attractions. i do really like the look of x/kubuntu but havent been able to find any pics of how lubuntu looks. my major question i have when itcomes to using anytyhing but ubuntu is that i really like the range of software available on ubuntu software centre, what is the chance of being able to use it if i decide to go with k/l/or xubuntu?
    Yes. They're all official flavours; the main difference is just a different desktop environment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forkandles View Post
    MasterJimmy,

Just like you I loved Ubuntu 10.04 and I simply wanted to continue with more of the same.

That is why I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and then modified it run along the lines of 10.04:

although i do very much like the UI and DE from 10.04 im not really up to trying a sweeping system mod as i am still basically a linux hatchling. i can get the specfic functionality iwant by using the cairo menu extension in AWN. i do however want the ability to do the four panel setup like i did with 10.04 but ist not that big a deal. mostly because im a high functioning autistic and its just "how my system is supposed to be" but using AWN i can get the functionality i want. once i get my second rig up and running i might experiment a bit though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forkandles View Post
    MasterJimmy,

as a side question...if i do the system mods you decribe can i get the old 10.04 software centre interface where i can select multiple programs for download simultaneously or am i still stuck with the current one? that will be the single biggest determining factor for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast