Thread: javascript in terminal

Beans

javascript in terminal

Im learning some javascript at codeacademy.com and I wanted to write some of my own stuff and then run it in the terminal.

After searching, I decided I needed rhino in order to run javascript, but it doesn't seem to understand the same javascript I am learning.

for example:

Code:
    jeff@ubuntu:~$ rhino
    Rhino 1.7 release 3 2012 02 16
    js> console.log("Hello World");
    js: uncaught JavaScript runtime exception: ReferenceError: "console" is not defined.

js>
    How can I get this to work like I am learning it, is it trying to read a different version of javascript or something?
    RadBrains.com - unrelated trading blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: javascript in terminal

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolJeff View Post
    Im learning some javascript at codeacademy.com and I wanted to write some of my own stuff and then run it in the terminal.

After searching, I decided I needed rhino in order to run javascript, but it doesn't seem to understand the same javascript I am learning.

for example:

Code:
    jeff@ubuntu:~$ rhino
    Rhino 1.7 release 3 2012 02 16
    js> console.log("Hello World");
    js: uncaught JavaScript runtime exception: ReferenceError: "console" is not defined.

js>
    How can I get this to work like I am learning it, is it trying to read a different version of javascript or something?
    JavaScript is rather a browser language, so the best way (and the most reasonable) to test your code is to do it in browser.