Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Yes.

    Reboot and it should come up ok.

    If not, you can boot off the livecd and we can go from there.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    INDY
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Purely personal opinion here!
    But until you have what you consider important and cannot afford to lose, backed up to external media, I would tread softly here.
    Re-partitioning can and does go wrong, one little slip in command line syntax, power failure, or system lock up could leave you very sorry.

    Once you get those partitions moved back into / (root) things are going to get tight for space there and you will probably need to add the unallocated space from /boot and /usr into the root part. another step with possible failure.
    Now all of this may go as planned, but it may not... on a production, can't loose system are you prepared for the consequences?

    Just some food for thought.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Yes.

    Reboot and it should come up ok.

    If not, you can boot off the livecd and we can go from there.
    Thanks for that Charles and as your quote says -

    "today is a solution"
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    Purely personal opinion here!
    But until you have what you consider important and cannot afford to lose, backed up to external media, I would tread softly here.
    Re-partitioning can and does go wrong, one little slip in command line syntax, power failure, or system lock up could leave you very sorry.
    Agreed. I think they should have around 2-4GB of wiggle room after everything is moved over, but I would definitely back up everything in /home up before messing with partitions.

    Once you get those partitions moved back into / (root) things are going to get tight for space there and you will probably need to add the unallocated space from /boot and /usr into the root part. another step with possible failure.
    Now all of this may go as planned, but it may not... on a production, can't loose system are you prepared for the consequences?
    Indeed. See above ^.
    Last edited by CharlesA; January 11th, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: fail tags
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Agreed. I think they should have around 2-4GB of wiggle room after everything is moved over, but I would definitely back up everything in /home up before messing with partitions.
    Well gentlemen, I may then be wise to get a proper backup of home before I proceed.
    Other than around 300 movies, my data has been rather small. I have until now been content to do 2 flashdrive backups a month.

    Even the movies I believe I would be prepared to lose, however I will proceed to ask questions on the General Help Forum about the possibility of obtaining a back up. I don't even know if it is a practical proposition to backup around 330 GiB movies (time wise)
    I only have a 250GiB External HD at this stage. - Would have to purchase another one.

    Regards -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Even the movies I believe I would be prepared to lose, however I will proceed to ask questions on the General Help Forum about the possibility of obtaining a back up. I don't even know if it is a practical proposition to backup around 330 GiB movies (time wise)
    I only have a 250GiB External HD at this stage. - Would have to purchase another one.
    How much time it would take would depend on the type of external drive. USB 3 vs USB2, mainly. Even that amount of data over USB2 wouldn't take too long, at least according to this calculator.

    As far as the price of getting a 500GB external, if it isn't too much (and it probably is), it would be an investment in a backup plan for the future.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    How much time it would take would depend on the type of external drive. USB 3 vs USB2, mainly. Even that amount of data over USB2 wouldn't take too long, at least according to this calculator.

    As far as the price of getting a 500GB external, if it isn't too much (and it probably is), it would be an investment in a backup plan for the future.
    Those calculator figures look really good. I may well take the plunge and purchase a 500GiB Unit today. I am a real dummy regarding backup programs so I will venture with a thread on the General Purpose Forum. Thanks again Charles -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Those calculator figures look really good. I may well take the plunge and purchase a 500GiB Unit today. I am a real dummy regarding backup programs so I will venture with a thread on the General Purpose Forum. Thanks again Charles -
    That would be a good idea. There are numerous programs to backup your data. I've been using rsync for local backups and CrashPlan for backups to the cloud, but CrashPlan can do local backups too.

    It might not be "free" but I have not had any problems with it yet.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  9. #39
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    have you checked if your ISP have free space for you ? (mine have, in case i need)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Unnecessary var, tmp, and usr Partitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    have you checked if your ISP have free space for you ? (mine have, in case i need)
    +1. I checked my ISP and they only offered 7GB of online storage, which is why I went with CrashPlan+. Granted cloud storage with CrashPlan isn't free, you can store backups offsite at a friend's place for free, so they offer multiple methods of backing up your data.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •