Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Samsung Series 9 Success / Ultrabooks

I started with 11.10 because it's the latest version my employer had on the PXE server. Just upgraded to 12.04. I'm gonna do some more reading before I decide if I want to go to 12.10.

I'm not having any issues, yet. Still on the wired network to do upgrading and stuff. I've only had Linux on it about an hour. I found the keymapping stuff, so that's next on the list.

What does the firmware download do? Does it make a USB key that you reboot with, or update the firmware while Windows is running?

Beans

The firmware upgrade is a windows .exe file so it has to be run under windows. 12.04 isn't a bad place to stay if you want to. As it's an LTS it has continual ongoing support, although I get the feeling that Empathy is a bit tighter in 12.10, but again, as 12.04 if LTS fixes should ripple back to it.

Are you having fun yet? I'm finding the machine glorious.

K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I love it! I've got Quantal on all my other machines, I'll probably upgrade soon. I may try the bios update as well.

Beans

I stuck with 10.10 for a long time because I hated what they did with Unity, but now that Unity is compiz based ( not sure when that happened) I'm embraced the change and run things pretty much stock. All good.

K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I haven't figured out how to middle-click-paste yet. Is this something that is already supported and I just haven't been able to place my clicks correctly, or is there some configuration for this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    I haven't figured out how to middle-click-paste yet. Is this something that is already supported and I just haven't been able to place my clicks correctly, or is there some configuration for this?
    No clue. Sorry.

K

Beans

16GIG UPGRADE

Success. Just remove the visible screws on the back. The back clamshells open and there are some clips at the hinge side that you have to persuade to come loose.

Snap in the two 8 gig cards and yer done. Definitely feeling an extra snappiness to the video performance. SSD upgrade somewhere down the road but no hurry.

$60!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00698WP50

K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I have heard of problems with the battery indicator, but mine seems to be working just fine. It knows when I plug in and out and it turns red 12 hours later when I'd expect it to be critically low. I've never let it suspend automatically.

I can't find a hibernate option in Ubuntu. Where is this?

Beans

12 hours??? Are you kidding me? Wow. Seems like there is no default power management going on (blank /etc/local.rc) so I just used this one:

http://dan.bodar.com/2012/12/07/sams...d-keybindings/

and definitely just got a bump. Went from 3 hours of battery life left on this charge up to a reported 5 so thanks to poster.

I think that the Hibernate feature has come and gone over the various recent ubuntu releases, so maybe it's not in 12.04 - it's back in 12.10

See here to enable:

http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-...-ubuntu-12.04/

With return from Hibernate at around 10 seconds, and hibernate using NO battery then I think it's a no brainer to use Hibernate on lid close.

Keith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Well, 12 hours is including being suspended during my commute and lunch, so maybe it's more like 8.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast