Thread: PS3 Controller Help!!!!

Beans

PS3 Controller Help!!!!

Okay, so I am a noob to Ubuntu and before I switched from Windows 8 to Ubuntu 12.10 I was able to play PlayStation 1 and a few other emulators with a PlayStation 3 controller via USB on my laptop. Now since I have switched I haven't been able to find a program that will let me use my PS3 controller via USB with Ubuntu 12.10. Is there one around and I just haven't found it or is there not one yet?
    Thank you for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: PS3 Controller Help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nonstick View Post
    Okay, so I am a noob to Ubuntu and before I switched from Windows 8 to Ubuntu 12.10 I was able to play PlayStation 1 and a few other emulators with a PlayStation 3 controller via USB on my laptop. Now since I have switched I haven't been able to find a program that will let me use my PS3 controller via USB with Ubuntu 12.10. Is there one around and I just haven't found it or is there not one yet?
    Thank you for the help.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install joystick jstest-gtk qjoypad
    Should do the trick. I have mine blue-toothed, its a bit tricky to do that.
    Code:
    jstest /dev/input/js*
    where * is replaced with 0 or 1, will let you see if it is getting input. (The PS3 controller makes two js devices. One only has 3 axis, the other just about everything else.)

I am assuming you are using an authentic Dualshock3 Playstation 3 controller.

If you prefer a GUI you can use jstest-gtk
    Last edited by ntzrmtthihu777; January 10th, 2013 at 02:53 AM.
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans

I tried this but it doesnt seem to see my controller when its hooked up via usb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello,

What kind of controller is it? I find that only high named brands work, like wired controllers. The official PS3 controller doesn't work, at least not for me and some of my friends. If you have another PS3 controller, try that one instead.

Beans

Okay, all I have are the official play station controllers. Then this is probably why it wont work. Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

We can test that, if you have Windows. If you do, try to download the PSX emulator, plug in your controller and let it install the software/driver for the controller, and then open the emulator and then go to the controller settings and click the drop down menu button and find the controller. If it isn't there, then it is for sure because it is an Official controller.

If you have an Xbox 360 controller, non wireless, it will work too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Dragon View Post
    Hello,

What kind of controller is it? I find that only high named brands work, like wired controllers. The official PS3 controller doesn't work, at least not for me and some of my friends. If you have another PS3 controller, try that one instead.
    As I stated earlier, my official PS3 pad works find with a bit of tweaking.
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

I didn't see your post at the time, I apologized. Based on personal experience and that of the people I know I came to the conclusion the rechargeable controllers for PS3 hardly ever worked right.

But may I can ask you if you can assist this user in trying to set up his controller? I know it is a Xbox controller, but maybe you can help him?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2108865&page=5