Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Firefox toolbars are too large and take up too much space

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Firefox toolbars are too large and take up too much space

My screen resolution is 1280 x 768 and Firefox is taking up about a fifth of my screen. The font sizes seem more or less reasonable, but the toolbars are huge, both horizontally and vertically. I've browsed through the forums looking for help and I've found some people with the same problem/complaint yet no answers on how to solve this.

I'm attaching two screenshots comparing how Firefox looks in Ubuntu and in Windows XP on the same machine. I'm running Hardy 8.04 on an hp dv1000 series, Firefox/3.0 on both OS's.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? How can I make Firefox more similar to my XP configuration?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Firefox toolbars are too large and take up too much space

Quote Originally Posted by rhm View Post
    My screen resolution is 1280 x 768 and Firefox is taking up about a fifth of my screen.
    Why don't you use small icons with no text under them? Right click on an icon an customize the icons.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could put toolbar bookmarks into categorised folders...

Right mouse click on the toolbar > New folder

Drag them in there.
    Last edited by powerpleb; July 1st, 2008 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

you could not use the toolbars at all?
    That would save alot of space.
    If your just surfing you could use NetSurf browser.
    Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

Beans

Here is a snapshot of my firefox. I use the bookmarks menu rather than the toolbars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by rhm View Post
    My screen resolution is 1280 x 768 and Firefox is taking up about a fifth of my screen. The font sizes seem more or less reasonable, but the toolbars are huge, both horizontally and vertically. I've browsed through the forums looking for help and I've found some people with the same problem/complaint yet no answers on how to solve this.

I'm attaching two screenshots comparing how Firefox looks in Ubuntu and in Windows XP on the same machine. I'm running Hardy 8.04 on an hp dv1000 series, Firefox/3.0 on both OS's.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? How can I make Firefox more similar to my XP configuration?
    That is the regular size for the toolbars in linux.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You could try using different gtk themes by going to System - Preferences - Appearance. Click on customize and change the controls used to something more compact. You can also download new gtk themes from http://gnome-look.org.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Another thing you could do is install a compact firefox theme like this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3699

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a feeling this has more to do with the screen resolution that I'm using than with Firefox. Your screenshots show a more or less "normal" toolbar size, proportional to your screens. Is anyone out there running a 1280 x 768 resolution experiencing the ugly, bulky Firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    Why don't you use small icons with no text under them? Right click on an icon an customize the icons.
    On principle, I feel Firefox should look more or less the same regardless of the OS. I'm slowly transitioning from Windows so that's my benchmark: it has to be at least that good (not that it would be a difficult task...)

In practice and thanks to your suggestion I am now using only icons. The small icons just don't do it for me yet. The space saved is enough to not make my eyes bleed, though I'm sure it could be made to look as small as the Windows one. This will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpleb View Post
    You could put toolbar bookmarks into categorised folders...

Right mouse click on the toolbar > New folder

Drag them in there.
    I could and I'm using one folder. However, the bookmarks that are out there I access very frequently (compulsively frequently) and it only takes one mouse click as opposed to the two it would take in the folder. It may sound trivial but it gets old quickly. Besides, the point is to reduce the size of the toolbars to make it proportional to Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Harii View Post
    you could not use the toolbars at all?
    That would save alot of space.
    If your just surfing you could use NetSurf browser.
    I can't begin to imagine life without toolbars... though it sounds like an interesting experiment. How would you go about that?

I'll look into NetSurf. Don't know what to expect yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    Here is a snapshot of my Firefox. I use the bookmarks menu rather than the toolbars.
    I like how compact your Navigation toolbar looks. I use the bookmark menu a lot too, but the bookmarks on the toolbars are there because I want them to be a one-click easy access. At the risk of sounding stubborn, I would hope that there's a way to make it proportional to the size Windows has. After all, same browser, same computer, same resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy View Post
    That is the regular size for the toolbars in linux.
    Well, this just sucks then =(.

Seriously though, can you point me to a reference where this is stated? It's ugly and I'm sure more than one Linux developer works on 1280 x 768 resolution, so they wouldn't do this to us newbies, would they?

Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    You could try using different gtk themes by going to System - Preferences - Appearance. Click on customize and change the controls used to something more compact. You can also download new gtk themes from http://gnome-look.org.
    I'll definitely take a look at that link. I played around with the default gtk themes and none made it better (some made it worse). Thanks for the tip though.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpleb View Post
    Another thing you could do is install a compact firefox theme like this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3699
    I've considered this, but before I cave, I want to make sure that there is absolutely, positively no way to reduce the size of those toolbars to something proportional to the ones in Windows. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You can also dive into userChrome.css and manually shrink down some elements:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...88#post5380788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast