Thread: converting video error

Beans

converting video error

hi all i have question how to convert and extract audio from video file, i
    have try avconv but it says the codec was unknown i also write -acodec mp3 libx264 h264 and other codec but but the avconv always says unknown codec and so the winff, winff however can convert to wma or audio file but its corrupted, am i should download the codec?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: converting video error

If you want an easy to use way to extract the audio from your video file, install audacity.
    It will automatically convert the video file into an audio file which you can export as any of a number of formats, including mp3,ogg,flac,wav, and so on.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

+1

Audacity is a good tool for audio (extraction, conversion, 'any' treatment)

install it from the repos, and if it doesn't work, try to install more codecs and such things.

I find the following packages useful

gstreamer0.10-plugin-ugly
    gstreamer0.10-plugin-bad

If you have the appropriate program sources activated, you can find and install them with Synaptic (and you can select the program sources with Synaptic too).

I have them from
    precise/universe: 'ugly'
    precise-updates/universe: 'bad'

Beans

thanks for the reply,i think audcity great for it but how about resizing video?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hnf a View Post
    thanks for the reply,i think audcity great for it but how about resizing video?
    Then you need another tool.

I use Openshot to edit the video clips from my camera and export to a suitable format. It is a GUI application.

I use ffmpeg to convert video clips (resizing, changing codec etc). It is a command line tool. There is a GUI frontend, WinFF, than can do some of the tasks that can be done with ffmpeg.
    Last edited by sudodus; January 9th, 2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: changed high-lighting (bold)

Beans

the problem is in the end of converting process the terminal write "unknown encoder 'libmp3lame'"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hnf a View Post
    the problem is in the end of converting process the terminal write "unknown encoder 'libmp3lame'"
    You need to install the codecs that you plan to use. Use Synaptic to search for the codec or see this link

http://askubuntu.com/questions/13737/what-packages-do-i-install-for-ffmpeg-and-libmp3lame

Beans

oh thanks for the reply now i can convert to avi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i use handbrake or avidemux to convert video formats. for video editing I use kdenlive from sunab's ppa's for either stable kdenlive-release or latest from git kdenlive-svn