Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson stylus wireless printer and a netbook = no hair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Epson stylus wireless printer and a netbook = no hair

Here is a how to connect wireless printer
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=12
    You do NOT need windows to use Wi-Fi, but you do need a wireless router/access point which supports WPS (and a wired/wireless connection from your PC to the router). I think that's part of the problem for some people here.

I had the printer setup and working (scanning/printing) over the wireless network in 15 minutes.

I'll describe the steps from beginning to end, these should apply to other Epson models such as the SX230:

1. First you need to setup the printer, install the cartridges and wait until the power light stops flashing.

2. Go to http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...search/?OSC=LX
    and type "Stylus SX235" exactly as written into the search box. Don't include the 'w' at the end!

3. Downloading and install ALL four packages shown in the list

4. Cups should be restarted automatically, but if not do so manually

5. Press the WPS button on your wireless router and then within 30 seconds press and hold the WiFi button on the printer until the wifi light on the printer starts flashing. The light should turn steady green if it's connected, your router should confirm that this has been successful.

5. Go to https://127.0.0.1:631 in the browser, Select Administration, Find Printer. (Disconnect usb first if you've previously connected it)

6. Click on the printer name, select Epson as the make and then Epson Stylus SX235 from the list of models. Click through the remaining dialogues and the printer will be added.

7. Print a test page just to make sure

Scanner

8. Assuming you know about Sane/iscan, the only step required here is to edit as root (sudo) /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf - add the line "net {IP of printer}" (Cups will mention the IP during setup, otherwise check your router for the assigned address.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

yes, I found that message. it is the very first message that appears when you google "install epson stylus wireless printer linux," in fact. It's where I began this hair-tearing adventure.

This message is why I got hung up on "Download and install ALL packages on the list." I took that instruction absolutely literally, resulting in me trying to figure out how to install .rpm files as well as the .deb ones, and installing 32-bit drivers when I have a 64-bit system and have installed 12.10 as 64 bit. (I still haven't managed to remove the 32-bit packages, same problem as I reported before, several reboots now.)

what I don't know how to do:

4. Cups should be restarted automatically, but if not do so manually
    but I'm going to assume that cups got restarted when my computer was restarted - if this is not true, then I'll need to find out how to restart cups manually.

5. Go to https://127.0.0.1:631 in the browser, Select Administration, Find Printer. (Disconnect usb first if you've previously connected it)
    when I attempt to do this step, there are no printers found. And I can't add one, because when I try it asks for a login, and I don't have that information. It could be a very simple combination that everyone except me knows, but I assure you that I don't know it, heh!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I still don't have a working printer. every help instruction i've tried hasn't worked. The netbook just won't see that there is a printer on my network and now I'm days overdue on my document. I've installed the drivers and uninstalled them and reinstalled them but nothing works. I would just add the printer if I knew what "Host" meant but I can't find an article that will tell me what my add printer program is asking for here. is it the address of the printer? if it is, how do I find out what that is?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12