Thread: Help with selecting the best Hard Drive for Ubuntu Server and Xbmcbuntu

Beans

Help with selecting the best Hard Drive for Ubuntu Server and Xbmcbuntu

Hi Guys

I was hoping that somebody here would be able to give some advice on compatible internal hard drives for ubuntu server and xbmcbuntu

I currently use an old p4 pc running xbmcbuntu as a media centre pc and server with a 1tb external hdd. eventually I will buy a mini-itx for my media centre and use my p4 as a raid server.

I want to get a 2tb internal drive, but I'm unsure as to what the best drive would be. From reading online the Western Digital Reds are a pretty good choice as they are designed for NAS, and seem to be more reliable than the seagate barracudas. However I have read somewhere that the western digital drives dont play nice with linux because of the intellipower feature. Does anybody have any experience with this / could offer me some advice.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help with selecting the best Hard Drive for Ubuntu Server and Xbmcbuntu

It's still a bit pricey at the moment but everybody seems to be raging about SSDs.
    I've also recently set up an XBMCbuntu media center in my lounge and have found that with so many online streamed resources available, my 1Tb drive is hardly getting used.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-ssd
    Last edited by richs-lxh; January 8th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Beans

Some WD models have had issues with high load cycle counts in Linux. But the ones I've seen have been laptop drives that frequently power cycle on battery (to save power) and not desktop drives. I've used a lot of WD desktop drives and prefer them.

I would not warn anyone off Seagate drives, though. Any drive from any manufacturer could fail with little or no warning. My philosophy is to expect hard drive failure not think I'm going to avoid it. Use S.M.A.R.T. to monitor drive health and make regular backups. When I buy a 2TB drive, I buy two instead of one. One is a copy of the other one. I expect that one will fail. If you think that way, a drive failure is an annoyance not a catastrophe.

I have been using SSDs lately too for the OS only, just because they are getting cheap at the small sizes and of course they are fast. But I still expect failure and make regular backups.

I don't believe in spending a lot of extra money on performance I don't need. I doubt I'd buy an expensive red WD drive for a NAS unless I had real need for one. A blue WD drive would probably cost a lot less and do fine, for data storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

check for the specs, like a fair cache amount(64MB or greater) and RPM(7200 or greater), more RPM is more raw speed, more cache is more room for performance.
    .:it's all about true or false, so be true to life:.
    linux community is the best
    ubuntu ftw <3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

These drives are currently in my P4 Procar 1U server...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236343