Thread: rdiff-backup howto and script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: rdiff-backup howto and script

to set a different sudo timout, see this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179048
    (it can be set in /etc/sudoers)

that NOPASSWD sudoers entry should allow you to run rdiff-backup without sudo... does in not work?

i wrote the script so that i don't have to retype all those exclude options etc, all i have to do is launch the script.

i didn't care to have it run unattended, because it was backing up to a usb drive, with wasn't always connected - only when i needed to do a backup. if you need it to run unattended, then obviously there is more to be done (ie, all that sudoers tweaking)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    that NOPASSWD sudoers entry should allow you to run rdiff-backup without sudo... does in not work?
    I wasn't sure if it was just because I had just done a sudo. I had originally tried to

Code:
    sudo chmod 4755 `which rdiff-backup`
    but still got permissions problems on the destination!

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    i wrote the script so that i don't have to retype all those exclude options etc, all i have to do is launch the script.
    I was just saying that you could put all those excludes in a globbing file on the destination instead. But I like this way too.

Incidentally, what I'm doing is weird anyway - I'm running the script from xscreensaver so that I get 'many and often'. I tend to work in bursts so its like an autosave/undo option!

Also, I use quoted excludes with wildcards so I get empty directories on the destination.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sudo rdiff-backup --print-statistics --exclude '/media/*' --exclude '/proc/*' --exclude '/tmp/*' --exclude '/dev/*' --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude /root/.cache --exclude '/var/log/*' / /media/Maxtor/backups &
    I'd be interested to hear other peoples exclude lists for 'everything essential' and perhaps some examples with ignoring types of files.

I was going to give this point and drool interface for rdiff-backup called pybackpack a go too but this howto is so easy anyway why bother?

Thanks for the link BTW (and of course the great howto!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is old, but I wonder if anyone has used this and restored without problems? I started looking into rdiff again, and like what it offers, better than the tar method. Wondered if anyone had successfully restored their system with this.

Shane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12