Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Installing grub on boot device failed, continue?

Beans

Re: Installing grub on boot device failed, continue?

Thanks alot Fred for your help with this.

After running boot-repair from the usb stick, it seems to have worked.

When I rebooted, there was a menue with very small writing which had the choices between my current kernel, my current kernel recovery mode and previous kernels, it showed for around 10s and then the system continued to boot, do a VERY LONG filesystem check and then i was able to login.

I'm using the system now, and everything seems to be working ok.

I think the important message for me out of this whole thing is that I need to use boot-repair from a usb stick, so I'll be keeping my little friend handy in case another problem like this happens.

Beans

Updated the system, now uname -a says I'm running 3.2.0.36 #57, which is the latest kernel.

Again thanks very much Fred for all your help with this, I'm marking this thread is [SOLVED]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad you have it working.

I have always had several repair tools. I used to burn a set of CDs to have the latest versions of gparted, Supergrub, Knoppix, Parted Magic and maybe others. I now also have Boot-Repair and actually have multiple ISO on one flash drive that I can directly boot with grub's loopmount.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678