Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz story end

Beans

Re: Compiz story end

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The plan for 13.04 was for Wayland/Weston to give a smooth visual transition from boot to login. That was dropped because there would not be enough time to bring it in. May be we will get the full Wayland experience in 13.10?

Regards.
    Or they could wait and let it fall between the next two LTS releases - 14.04 and 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe Canonical have to hire developers to overtake the further development of compiz if they want to go the road with compiz/unity or drop it and work together with the gnome devs and can benefit of upstream development (Gnome Nautilus,...). And it shows why it is bad to have forks in your distribution of upstream projects. However the decision what powers unity in future will be interesting.

Beans

Were there no whispers from Canonical about any 'plan-b' in case of this situation?

Beans
    Hidden!

maybe there is something in the works now? always wondered why there is/was no official Alpha released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I wonder why Sam left Canonical?

Unity and Compiz made desktop surfing and working a joy. I doubt very much that compiz will fade so easily.

Solution ... bring back Unity 2d and dump the lvmpipe. Unity 2D was just awesome. Still is on my 11.10 install.

Tablet PCs are to desktop PCs as toy synthesizers are to Steinway Grand Pianos. Toy synthesizers get played only a few times then collect food, dust and grime and are eventually thrown away. Steinways most only need to be tuned and always appreciate in value. The quality of sound also gets better as it ages. Assuming that Unity and Compiz are experiencing some type of entropy is a minimalist view . One virtuoso leaves and there are usually three standing by to take his place.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

KWin says hi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by BigCityCat View Post
    KWin says hi.
    Since Mutter was replaced with Compiz to improve Unity's performance, moving back to Mutter might not be an option.

On the other hand, because of the Plasma Active project, KWin was stripped down for mobile, and a Mer based distro that uses Plasma Active can already be installed on a Nexus 7. Also, work is being done to support Wayland in KWin.

I don't fully understand the reasons behind the Unity strategy, it seems to me that embracing KDE would be a more efficient way to achieve the envisioned "One OS fits all sizes". KDE already has an offer that suits desktops, netbooks, tablets... and is designed to make easy building yet another interface if that's what's needed.

Sure, KDE is resource hungry, but Unity is not a bit lighter, and the KDE devs are improving Plasma's performance with every release.

Well, perhaps this is Canonical's "plan B"? Since 12.04 there's a Plasma Active Kubuntu for i386:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-ac...ecise/release/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Since Mutter was replaced with Compiz to improve Unity's performance, moving back to Mutter might not be an option.

On the other hand, because of the Plasma Active project, KWin was stripped down for mobile, and a Mer based distro that uses Plasma Active can already be installed on a Nexus 7. Also, work is being done to support Wayland in KWin.

I don't fully understand the reasons behind the Unity strategy, it seems to me that embracing KDE would be a more efficient way to achieve the envisioned "One OS fits all sizes". KDE already has an offer that suits desktops, netbooks, tablets... and is designed to make easy building yet another interface if that's what's needed.

Sure, KDE is resource hungry, but Unity is not a bit lighter, and the KDE devs are improving Plasma's performance with every release.

Well, perhaps this is Canonical's "plan B"? Since 12.04 there's a Plasma Active Kubuntu for i386:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-ac...ecise/release/
    I hope your right with regards to plan B. KDE's decisions are begining to show a lot of positives. They really have good direction with Qt5 and QML. Wayland and Plasma Active. They are maturing and their decisons are coming to fruition. I really think KDE is going to get a lot better over the next few years.

Beans
    Distro

Here is great video of Plasm Active and it's capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ulcizzAj-N4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My feeling is that Sam never really wanted to be the lead compiz developer. When the first version of Unity came out and was based on mutter, Sam planned on stopping work on compiz, and was going to create plugins that worked with it.

I personally think that his time as the lead compiz developer was pretty tough on him, and from the sound of it, is happy to be done with it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast